After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 26

Love is Like a Cloud of Smoke


Warning: This chapter includes a suicide.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

When he woke up the next morning, as soon as he opened his eyes, he saw Song Yuan's peaceful sleeping profile.

He couldn't help but groan in his heart, they say that those who are the most gentle are the most dangerous, Song Yuan is really...

But seeing him sleeping peacefully, with his guard completely down, made his heart feel soft.

Shi Yao admitted that he was a total fan of beautiful faces, and he liked gentle and beautiful looks.

Song Yuan is really beautiful.

But he's a psychopath!

Song Yuan is really beautiful.

But he's a murderer with a twisted outlook!

Song Yuan is really beautiful.

But there's no way I can forgive him!

Song Yuan is really beautiful, maybe he has his own struggles?

"Morning, Yao'er, if you look at me like that, you'll make me misunderstand." Song Yuan's eyelashes were long and the pair of eyes that were lined with them was quite radiant: "I will think that you wish to continue what we didn't finish last night."

"It's morning, early in the morning, what nonsense are you saying?"

Song Yuan wrapped his arms around his waist and squeezed, "Want to try?"

"No! No! No!" Shi Yao refused, "I'm hungry."

"After breakfast, then?"

"Don't you have something important to do?"

"Yao'er, being with you is the most important thing for me."

Looking at Song Yuan's innocent and affectionate eyes, Shi Yao resisted the urge to bite him, "Let's get up first."

Song Yuan kissed him on the forehead, "I love you."

Shi Yao's heart skipped a beat, what the hell, it was so early in the morning.

Wait, did he say, love?

After washing up and eating breakfast with his mind in a mess, looking at Song Yuan's face, Shi Yao's mind waged a fierce battle. Should I forgive him or not? Should I stay with him or not?

Song Yuan, Song Yuan, Song Yuan ah.

"What's on your mind?"

"Ahem, nothing, the clouds in the sky are so pretty."

"Is there a cloud on my face?"

"Why are you being so annoying? I don't want to tell you!"

"Yao'er, tonight, I have a surprise for you."

"You've already told me, what kind of surprise is that?"

"I just told you about it, I didn't say exactly what it was."

"Mhmm mhmm mhmm mhmm, is it a big surprise?"

Song Yuan looked at him gently, "Mhmm, it's very important to me."

Ever since Song Liao had left, Song Yuan had taken charge of the Song family and integrated the Nanyang Chamber of Commerce, and had been in the limelight for a while.

In the afternoon, Shi Yao went to the lotus pond to relax.

He didn't expect to bump into Song Xiang.

Shi Yao greeted her.

Song Xiang said, "Mr. Shi, can you read this story to me?"

She handed Shi Yao a book, Shi Yao took it and saw that it was Shakespeare's 'Hamlet'.

One of the most famous and widely circulated soliloquies.

———

To be, or not to be – that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles.

And, by opposing, end them?

———

Shi Yao said, "This is Hamlet's soliloquy, his uncle murdered his father, usurped the throne, and forcibly married his mother. Hamlet was in deep anguish, and thus had this soliloquy."

Song Xiang asked, "Mr. Shi, if it were you, would you accept the poisoned arrows of fate in silence?"

"What's wrong with you? Is it because you don't want to stay in the Song residence?" Shi Yao reassured her, "I am trying to find a way to escape, and when the time comes, I can take you with me."

Song Xiang shook her head, "I can't leave."

"You are the young lady of the Song family, can anyone stop you?"

"I'd rather not, I'd rather not have the slightest connection with the Song family."

Shi Yao enlightened her, "The difficulties now are all temporary, just a little while longer, when the situation stabilises, I will take you out of Song residence with me. Miss Song is beautiful, dignified and literate, you will definitely be able to live a good life."

Song Xiang smiled, and there seemed to be tears in her smile.

It was soon evening.

Shi Yao thought, didn't Song Yuan say there was a surprise of some sort? He was quite looking forward to it.

What kind of surprise would it be?

Coca Cola? A family bucket of fried chicken? A deluxe package of a video game?

Were there video games in this era?

As he was wondering, there was a penetrating shriek in the distance.

This was followed by the sound of sobbing cries, panicked footsteps and noisy conversations.

Shi Yao was curious and was heading that way.

Then someone shouted, "Oh no, Miss Song has fallen into the water, Miss Song has fallen into the water!"

Shi Yao was alarmed and rushed to the scene of the incident, only to see Nian Zhen holding Song Xiang and crying.

The doctor had examined her, but she was long gone, no longer breathing.

Song Xiang had not fallen into the water, but had thrown herself into a well and died.

Shi Yao felt cold all over, it was clear that they had met in the afternoon and he had read Shakespeare for her, reciting lines from 'Hamlet', "Why? Why did this happen?"

Nian Zhen bawled, her voice already hoarse: "Because, because Miss was assigned to marry into the Kong family, and the marriage partner was a playboy with an addiction to gambling and domestic violence, and Miss was unwilling. l didn't expect, didn't expect..."

"Who," Shi Yao asked, "made them marry?"

The surroundings fell silent for a moment, and no one spoke.

Nian Zhen sobbed, "Song Yuan."

Shi Yao took a deep breath.

At that moment, Song Yuan arrived at the scene.

Shi Yao looked at Song Yuan and asked, "Why?"

Song Yuan said, "This incident was an accident. If she didn't want to, I wouldn't have forced her."

"After it's come to this, what's the point of saying that?" Shi Yao's heart was filled with grief and anger, "Do you think I will still believe you?"

"Yao'er, I'm sorry, I was indeed wrong."

"You're not sorry for me! You are sorry for her! You were never sorry for me, you were sorry for all those people who died for no reason! Are you so cold-blooded and selfish that you don't take human life seriously? How many more innocent people must die, how many more accidents must there be? How many more things do you have to deceive me about?"

"Yao'er, calm down first." Song Yuan tried to put his arm around his shoulders, but Shi Yao avoided it, and there was deep disappointment in the bottom of his eyes.

"Song Yuan," Shi Yao said, "you and I, we're completely finished."

"All right, don't be angry." Song Yuan coaxed, "It's going to rain, let's go to our room and discuss it, okay?"

The rain fell, wetting his hair and clothes.

Shi Yao looked at him with a determined expression, "Let me go."

"No."

Shi Yao leaned down, took off Song Xiang's hairpin and placed it against his neck, "Then I will leave with Miss Song tonight."

Song Yuan smiled, "Yao'er, you won't, you're very afraid of pain, I know that."

Shi Yao closed his eyes as the hairpin poked through the delicate skin of his neck, and blood immediately flowed out.

"I'll let you go." Song Yuan said, "Don't hurt yourself."

Shi Yao put the hairpin away in his sleeve and, without looking back, walked towards the gate of the Song residence.

"Yao'er." Song Yuan called out to stop him.

Shi Yao stopped for a moment.

Song Yuan did not continue to speak.

He just kept watching Shi Yao's back as he left until he completely disappeared from view.

Returning to his room alone, Song Yuan put the ring in his pocket back into its box.

He put away the carefully arranged proposal bouquet, the chocolates and the wine.

Love is like a cloud of smoke, Song Yuan's heart was empty as he watched the candle flame flicker.

Everything seemed, as if nobody showed up for the date, like a fleeting and illusory dream.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

I know Song Yuan is the villain here, but my heart broke a little for him...

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 25, 2023

Comments