After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 27

A New Spring in a Desperate Place 


In the early hours of the morning, the streets were cold.

Shi Yao, who was penniless, had been caught in the rain, and felt like he was wandering aimlessly, and was reminded of the saying in the 'Analects of Confucius', “As tired as the father of a mourning family".

After surviving until dawn, Shi Yao suddenly remembered that he was a student at Nanyang University, and that there must be few schools that could take him in!

With his hair in disarray and his clothes soaked by the rain, Shi Yao went to the Nanyang University's School of Humanities, approached the department head's office, and said to Liu Hualin, whose head was half bald, "Director, can I still apply for accommodation?"

"Now?" Liu Hualin looked at him in surprise, "The semester is almost over!"

“There's been a sudden change in my family, and I'm homeless," Shi Yao touched his nose, "can't you make an exception?"

Liu Hualin looked through his documents as he asked, "What is your name?"

"Shi Yao, Shi as in time, Yao as in carefree."

"Shi Yao, Shi Yao..." Liu Hualin suddenly remembered something and looked at him angrily with wide eyes, "You are Shi Yao?"

Shi Yao swallowed fearfully, “Mhmm, yes, what's wrong?"

"How many times have you come to class this term?" Liu Hualin snapped the document shut, "Tell me yourself!"

Shi Yao's hands were sweating sheepishly, it seemed like the last time he had been to class was last term? He really hadn't been to school for a long time, "Director, something happened at home and I couldn't..."

"Don't give me that nonsense!" Liu Hualin interrupted, "You have missed class many times, you have reached the criteria for expulsion, not to mention applying for accommodation, whether you can retain your academic standing is debatable."

"Is there no room for redemption? Director?" Shi Yao looked at him pitifully, "I will change my ways and study hard, otherwise I will stay in your office."

Liu Hualin had never seen such a shameless student before, and he trembled with anger: "Then you should go to the Dean! Don't bother me!"

Shi Yao found his way to the Dean's office, and just as he entered, he saw Professor Han Pu, who was elegant and proud, standing by the window with a cup of tea.

Shi Yao looked at himself and then at Han Pu, and suddenly felt that he should not be here.

Han Pu exuded the elegance of a highly intellectual man, while he looked as if he was about to take over as the head of the beggar's gang in the next few moments.

He was about to run away when Han Pu called out to him and said, "Shi Yao?"

With a thick face, Shi Yao could only smile and greet him, "Professor Han, Dean, good morning."

"Is this Shi Yao?" The Dean was wearing thick glasses, stroking his white beard and looking at him kindly, "You are famous, Mr. Shi."

Shi Yao thought about the way the department head had treated him and how he must not have had a good reputation in the university, so he wanted to die of embarrassment: "Dean, I'm sorry! I'm here to beg you, can you not expel me?"

"Why should you be expelled?" Han Pu asked.

"Because I've missed too many classes. There is a reason for that," Shi Yao explained, "I have experienced a lot of unexpected changes lately, and I can't really talk about them in a few words."

"I've heard a lot about the Song family, but," the Dean said in a quiet voice, "the university has its own rules, don't you think so, Professor Han?"

Han Pu put down his tea: "I hope the Dean will give him a second chance."

The Dean was surprised: "It's the first time I've heard you plead for a student."

"Mr. Shi is very intelligent and is a student I admire, I am willing to vouch for him."

"What a surprise," the Dean smiled, his face full of wrinkles: "I'm impressed that Professor Han thinks so highly of you."

"You are willing to give me a chance?"

"I have conditions." the Dean looked at Shi Yao: "As long as you can pass all your courses this semester, I will maintain your student status."

All his courses?

There's less than a month left before the end of the semester!

“Okay, I promise." Shi Yao bit his lip: "Thank you, and also you, Professor Han."

After leaving the Dean's office, he went to the department head to get his books and class schedule, and carrying a pile of books, Shi Yao went straight to the library, found the most convenient and undisturbed spot, and started reading them one by one.

Shi Yao's English was not bad, so he was now reading through the 'History of Western Literature', which reminded him of the time he spent studying in modern times.

The pages of the book were filled with notes, and before he knew it, the stars were coming up. He was so hungry, and after searching through his pockets, he found a coin and went to the kiosk next to the library to buy a bun for his stomach.

Sitting on the steps, he remembered when he had first arrived here, remembering Song Liao, remembering Song Yuan, and his heart was in turmoil.

After relaxing in the night breeze for a while, he returned to his seat in the library, where he was able to calm his mind and forget about everything while studying.

Late into the night, Shi Yao fell asleep on his desk.

In a daze, he heard someone call out to him, "Shi Yao, Shi Yao..."

When he opened his sleepy eyes, he saw Han Pu's concerned face: "Do you have a fever?

"Ah, a fever, no? I feel..." Shi Yao lifted his head, dizzy for a moment. His face flushed and his voice softened, "I'm a little thirsty, Mr. Han, do you have any water?"

Han Pu held his own cup up to his lips, "Slowly."

Shi Yao choked violently on a large mouthful of water and coughed softly.

Han Pu stroked his back and took out a plain silk cloth to wipe away the water stains on his lips, "Why are you so hot?"

Shi Yao had a headache and his brain felt like mush: "It's probably because of the rain last night, it's fine, I'll be fine after I sleep."

Han Pu stroked his forehead and neck and frowned, "You need to rest."

"Mhmm mhmm mhmm, I'm still waiting for the university to approve a dormitory for me." After saying this, Shi Yao felt like his eyelids were a thousand pounds heavy, "I'm so sleepy, Master Han, I might not be able to hold on..."

When he woke up again, it was the afternoon of the following day.

Shi Yao had changed into clean clothes and was lying in an exceptionally soft big bed.

After turning over, he saw Han Pu, who was working not far from him.

Han Pu was writing something with his head down, wearing a pair of silver-rimmed glasses, which gave him an extraordinarily intellectual aesthetic.

Shi Yao hopped off the bed: "Master Han, where are my books and notebooks?"

Han Pu turned his head to look at him and smiled helplessly before saying, "They're all there, how do you feel now?"

"Exceptionally well, I'm better already!" Shi Yao wondered, "Master Han, are you nearsighted? I didn't notice that."

Han Pu said, "Just slightly nearsighted, I wear glasses when I'm doing important work. You’re not used to it?"

"No, it's very nice!" Shi Yao complimented, "Very charming, very high-class."

Han Pu had thin skin and was a little embarrassed by what he said, "You can stay with me temporarily until the school dormitory approval arrives."

"Then I'll go to Xinmin School to work for you!"

"Okay."

Shi Yao noticed that the clothes he was wearing did not fit him particularly well: "Master Han, are these your pyjamas?"

Han Pu thought of something and his ears flushed slightly red, "Your previous clothes were wet."

"Thank you, I don't know how to thank you," Shi Yao said, "I'll work hard at school and buy a new set for you."

"Okay."

"I'll study hard, pass the exams and not embarrass you," Shi Yao vowed, "I'll take first place, scare the hell out of the Dean and slam the report card in the department head's face!"

Han Pu couldn't help but smile, "Okay."

"I want to prove to them that Master Han is the best! He has never been wrong about me, I am the best student he has ever had!"

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 26, 2023

Comments