My Vampire Faints at Blood Chapter 5

Checking the Pupil by Looking at the light Reflection


The incident at the subway station did not take too long. After walking happily with Mr. Werewolf, Doctor Shang finally regretfully dispelled the urge to cut a piece of flesh from him. They said goodbye and Shang Haojia quickly walked out of the platform, following the flow of people.

There was no sun and moon in the emergency department, and it had been more than a month since the last time he went home. Although a bit reluctant, Shang Haojia, who was very honest, ran all the way up the stairs, preparing to give his parents a warm hug filled with the smell of disinfectant.

It’s a pity that the warm hug was ruthlessly stomped out by the key that wouldn’t fit.

Shang Haojia stood at the door, looking at the key in his hand that had been with him for twenty years. He would never admit that he was wrong, but he raised his head and looked at the apartment number, falling into deep thought about life.

No one heard the doorbell and there was no sound coming from inside. Shang Haojia took three seconds to decide whether to call his parents or to climb up to the seventh floor with his bare hands. Finally, he pulled out his cell phone and called his parents.

For this kind of dual criminal police family, it is obviously a matter of luck to be able to make a successful call. Although both of his parents have reached the age of retirement, at least from Shang Haojia’s perspective, successfully connecting with his parents was still a very difficult achievement.

After making two calls, no one answered. Shang Haojia’s finger hovered over the number listed as their work phone for a while, but ultimately decided not to press it. He was about to go to the city’s criminal investigation team himself, when the door opposite him suddenly opened.

"Xiao Jia, what are you doing here?" The old man was kind-eyed, but energetic. When he saw Shang Haojia, he greeted him affectionately, "Your parents moved to the city a while ago, and this house is being rented out. Don’t you know?"

"…" Shang Haojia was silent for a moment, then shook his head painfully and decisively.

Seeing his reaction, the old man was not surprised at all. After all, a person who can give a child such a name can do anything, and the neighbours all maintained a certain degree of understanding.

"They left a key with me, saying that if someone comes to rent the house, I should just take them to have a look." The old man took out a key from a box in the hallway, put it in Shang Haojia’s hand, and patted it comfortingly, "It’s getting late now, you won’t have time to get back to the city. It’s better to stay here for the night, but the furniture has almost all been emptied out. I guess there is nothing in the fridge either. Have you eaten already? If you haven’t eaten, you can come to our house and ask Auntie to make a meal for you."

"No, no, thank you, Uncle Hao. I just made an appointment a while ago to eat with friends, so I won’t bother you both." Naturally, Shang Haojia was embarrassed to trouble others so much, and quickly took over the key, thanking him sincerely. The old man smiled and waved his hand. After telling him to lock the door while he was home alone, he finally closed the door gently.

Shang Haojia was left standing alone at his door, moved to tears by the great affection, "Let me tell you, I finally understand now. It was indeed a mistake for me to abandon forensic medicine and go to the clinic, but I carried the black pot myself." (Angel: The black pot is internet slang meaning to bear the fault for others. In this sentence, he is saying that he is bearing the consequences of his own fault.)

Throwing himself on the bed that didn’t even have a cushion, Shang Haojia couldn’t help but take out his phone and report to An Muxi, who was far away in his laboratory, about his bumpy family-hunting journey, "It’s true. To be honest, I think I have actually begun to consider whether the bed in the morgue would be more comfortable than this."

"Don’t go to the morgue to sleep again. Didn’t your parents at least leave the air conditioning on for you?" The opposite person apparently has become familiar with his habits and asked sympathetically.

Shang Haojia looked at the flashlight emitting a faint light by the bedside with mixed feelings, and sighed at the hardships of life, "The air conditioner was left, but the electricity is gone…"

"I will send you a red envelope and you can go book a hotel room for the night." The summer seemed to be particularly hot and humid. Hearing that his friend not only didn’t have air conditioning, but didn't even have a fan, An Muxi’s voice became full of gloating sympathy.

"No need, I have money on me. I just didn’t expect my parents to move without telling me." Shang Haojia sighed sadly. He jumped up from the bed, planning to open at least one window to let the wind in, "No one answers the phone now, and I don’t know what case they are working on…"

"Don't want a son if you have a case. Don't your parents always follow this style?" The voice on the other side couldn’t help but smile a little. Obviously, he also remembered the past, "When you were in graduate school, you snuck in a rabbit and raised it in the dormitory. You were criticised by the whole school. As a result, your parents happened to have a big case, so they ordered a rabbit from the internet and had it mailed to the school and said it was compensation. But it was a lop-eared rabbit…"

"That this was simply a big mistake. What else would I raise a rabbit for? Obviously, I planned to stew it and eat it at night. Who knew that there would be a surprise inspection in the afternoon?" At last, there was a little coolness coming from the window. Shang Haojia simply raised his leg and sat on the window sill, protesting dissatisfiedly, "Furthermore, what about the lop-eared rabbit?  It was so cute."

He has always been used to harassing acquaintances. Because of the dull and tropical summer night, he suddenly showed some inexplicable youthfulness.

"Okay, okay, don't even try this on me. Even if the professor bought it, I certainly won't. You're already an adult, aren't you afraid of being a laughingstock?" The other party was obviously familiar with his behaviour and smiled lightly.

Shang Haojia yawned, rubbed his sleepy eyes, and looked out of the window disapprovingly, "Don’t talk about it, how can there be a lonely person like me…" His words stopped for a while as he suddenly saw a face outside the window.

In the usual sense, such a face could very easily make people feel happy, because even though it was indeed a little too pale, it had a high nose, deep eyebrows, sharp facial contours, and an elegant and gentle smile. But the so-called "usual" sense, under normal circumstances, obviously does not include being seen at the window on the seventh floor that does not have guardrails.

As an emergency physician who loves science, Shang Haojia is not afraid of ghosts, but he still used three seconds to weigh whether he wanted to smash the phone against his face.

"What’s the matter, you finally fell from the window sill?" Genuine concern came from the other end of the phone.

Shang Haojia took a breath, meeting the gentle gaze of the vampire, and whispered while biting his teeth, "Looking back, I have something to do." When he finished speaking, he hung up the phone and put it in his pocket. Raising his head, he looked at the uninvited guest in front of him, "Mr. Wei, can you explain your current behaviour?"

"I heard my werewolf friend accidentally mention that he met Doctor Shang on the subway and had a very cordial and friendly conversation with your Excellency." Wei Long watched him with a smile, his midnight pupils were soaked with a kind, but not boring, smile, "Please forgive my feelings, but your scent is so alluring that I was driven by the mysterious impulse in my body to seek it out."

"A vampire boasting about my enticing smell, I don’t know why, but I don’t seem to feel anything to be happy about." Shang Haojia shook his head angrily. He pushed the window a little bit, turned sideways, and asked him to jump in from outside, "This vampire lord from the Middle Ages, I have a little request."

"Actually, according to our theory, I should be called ‘His Royal Highness’, but these are just innocuous details. Doctor Shang, please tell me, I wonder if I can do anything for you?" Wei Long lightly leapt through the window, brushed off his blazer, and stared at him for a while.

Shang Haojia leaned his head unwillingly and stood firm on the ground, with one hand on the window sill, "There is only one request. Next time you speak, can you speak a little more plainly? Every time I talk to you, I feel like I have entered a translated film…"

"Of course." Just as Wei Long took a breath and prepared to answer, he suddenly remembered the other party’s request. He thoughtfully swallowed what he had not yet said, and then blinked at him with a smile, "Actually, if I can, I would rather use my eyes to convey to you my inner feelings. Seeing my eyes, what do you think of?"

Shang Haojia looked at him in silence for a while, then suddenly grabbed his shoulder with one hand and took out a small flashlight from his pocket with the other, aiming it at his pupils.

Wei Long watched his movements curiously, raising his hand and shaking it in front of the flashlight’s beam, "Please forgive me for being a newcomer. Is this any special etiquette?"

"No, this is a basic inspection." Shang Haojia shook his head, patting his shoulder, "Your pupils are enlarged on both sides and the reflection of light is not obvious. The only thing I can think of is to inform your family members of their sorrow."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Shang Haojia has the same request as me. Please, Wei Long, speak in a less old-fashioned way 🙏đŸģ

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: May 3/4, 2021

Edited: July 28, 2023

Comments

  1. Thanks for the chapter. ^^ What did SH mean (talking about ML's eyes and calling his parents) at the end of the chapter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was saying that when a person is dead, their eyes do not reflect light. When a person dies in the emergency room, the doctor informs the family of their passing, and in turn, brings them sorrow. Wei Long's eyes do not reflect light, and therefore Shang Haojia was jesting that he would have to bring his family sorrow by telling them that he passed away.

      Delete
  2. 😮I see, thank you for answering.👍đŸģ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you guys think about this chapter! I love to hear all of your comments.

Be sure to check back, as I always try my best to respond to every comment I receive!