After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 24

Angel and Demon


Jacob said, aggrieved, "Why are you always thinking of other men? You never have me in your mind."

Shi Yao was momentarily speechless, "I'll go alone."

He opened the car door and got out straight away.

Jacob hurriedly brought him back: "Why are you always like this? I'll do what you want, just get back here!" As he closed the car door, he re-fastened his seat belt: "Xiao Yao Yao, can you stop being so willful!"

Shi Yao said, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I forgive you." Jacob raised an eyebrow, "That's what I like about you, you're spontaneous, just like me."

"I'll remember what you did for me, I owe you a favour, and in the future, if there's anything I can do for you, I'll be sure to..."

"No need!" Jacob winked at him, "I just love it when you owe me favours, the more the merrier."

Shi Yao said, "Thanks."

When they arrived at Xinmin School, Shi Yao asked the gatekeeper, "Is Professor Han here?"

The gatekeeper replied, "Yes."

Shi Yao walked inside and bumped into Song Xiang and her maid, Nian Zhen.

Song Xiang was in tears and Nian Zhen was comforting her.

Shi Yao said, "Miss Song, why are you at the school? What happened to the Song family?"

Song Xiang was sobbing and her eyes were red.

Nian Zhen took the initiative and said, "We don't know, Miss Song lives in the school and hasn't been back to the Song residence for a long time. We only heard from the people there that the Song residence has changed and Young Master Liao has been stripped of his authority, and not only that, but Young Master Yuan has disregarded his old relationships and killed people in the Song residence."

When she said this, Song Xiang's expression became even more sorrowful.

Shi Yao asked, "What about Song Liao? How is he?"

Song Xiang shook her head.

Nian Zhen said, "We don't know anything either."

Shi Yao suddenly understood why Master Song had held his hand when he was dying and asked him to promise to help the Song family and help Song Liao.

It turned out that since that time, Master Song had predicted that such a day would eventually befall the Song family.

Shi Yao murmured to himself, "Song Yuan has been hiding this from me for so long, and I didn't notice a single thing."

Shi Yao, Shi Yao, how could you be so love-brained, how could you be so stupid?

Song Yuan's heart was obvious to everyone, but only you, Shi Yao, were in the dark!

When he went into the inner hall and saw Han Pu, his heart finally settled down a little.

Shi Yao said, "Teacher, my mind is so confused right now."

Han Pu made a cup of tea for him.

They sat opposite each other and didn't say anything.

When Shi Yao looked at Han Pu, a wave of confidence surged through his heart, like a clear breeze and moonlit serenity: "Teacher, what should I do? What am I supposed to do?"

Han Pu said, "The person who ties the bell must untie it."

It was late at night when he returned to his apartment.

When Shi Yao pushed the door open, a warm yellow light was on in the living room.

Song Yuan was reading with his eyes downcast, quiet and gentle.

When Shi Yao looked at his profile, he could not believe that the man who was the subject of those rumours, the bloodthirsty man, the brutal man, was the man in front of him.

Song Yuan closed the book and smiled at him, "Yao'er, you're back so late? Have you had dinner?"

Shi Yao asked, "What are you reading?"

"'Shakespeare's Sonnets', Lin Fei's translation, it is very well done." Song Yuan put the book on the table, "Haven't you always wanted to be a translator? One day I'll go and visit Professor Lin in person and ask him if he can help you..."

"Song Yuan," Shi Yao interrupted him, "that's enough."

"What?"

"How much longer do you intend to lie to me?"

"Yao'er, I don't understand what you're saying." Song Yuan looked calm, and there was an innocent look in his eyes, "When did I lie to you, hmm?"

"The Song family's affairs, the rumours outside," Shi Yao's breath trembled slightly, "I've heard them all."

"Yao'er, you'd rather believe those gossips that are made out of nothing than me?"

"I," Shi Yao froze for a moment, and his heart finally softened: "I don't not believe you, but, they said..."

"What did they say?"

"That you seized the Song family's power."

"We're both sons of the Song family," Song Yuan asked rhetorically, "if Song Liao can do it, why can't I?"

"You eradicated dissidents in the Song family."

"There is no bloodless struggle in the world."

"Did you have anything to do with Ling Junde's death?"

"Yao'er, that's not important." Song Yuan said lightly, "This matter has already passed, hasn't it?"

Shi Yao suddenly recalled the time when he was so upset by Ling Junde's death that he had resigned from his position as an interpreter at the Chamber of Commerce, and how Song Yuan had come to comfort him.

He had been touched by this at that time, but he had never thought that...

"Song Yuan, why?"

"He deserved to die."

"Just because he was a business competitor of yours?"

"That's not true, the only reason I wanted him to disappear was because of you." Song Yuan's voice was still as gentle as ever: "Because he coveted you."

Shi Yao trembled as he looked at Song Yuan in disbelief, "How could you..."

"It's just an insignificant person, if you care so much about him, I'll get angry."

"So Master Song's death is also related to you?"

Song Yuan fell into silence.

Shi Yao's lips turned white.

"Song Yuan, I was wrong about you." The back of Shi Yao's throat was sour: "It's my fault for not reading people properly, it's my fault, let's end it."

Song Yuan stood still, not seeming to understand the exact meaning of these words.

Shi Yao headed outside and had just pushed open the door when he was stopped in his tracks by two guards, one on the left and one on the right.

The door was slammed shut again.

Suddenly remembering that Song Liao was unaccounted for, Shi Yao asked him, "Song Yuan, what have you done with Song Liao?"

Song Yuan looked at him and his voice had a playful tone: "What else could I do? I killed him."

Shi Yao's eyes went black, his face was bloodless, his body was unstable and he almost fell to the ground.

Song Yuan held him by the waist and whispered, "You feel so terrible? Hmm? I'm so jealous. If I die, will you feel sorry for me too, Yao'er?"

With mixed feelings in his heart, full of grief and pain, Shi Yao pushed Song Yuan away, a horrible tremor rising from the bottom of his heart.

The qualities of an angel and a demon were so perfectly blended in the same person.

"Alright, I won't tease you anymore," Song Yuan said, "he's alive and well."

Shi Yao let out a deep sigh of relief.

"Want to see him?"

Shi Yao nodded, he had to make sure Song Liao was alive.

"Yao'er, kiss me, just as passionately as you did last time."

"Song Yuan, stop acting."

Shi Yao felt tired, Song Yuan was too complex, he couldn't see through him at all, he couldn't understand his nature at all, and he didn't know whether he was cold or affectionate.

Song Yuan lowered his head, touched his lips, wrapped his arms around his waist and softly licked and sucked his lips with wet heat.

Shi Yao did not respond to him.

Song Yuan whispered in his ear, "Since you want to see him, let's go together, shall we?"

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

We finally know the truth behind Ling Junde's death. How dare Song Yuan kill precious Ling Junde?

(⋟﹏⋞)

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 23, 2023

Comments