After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 7

Paranoid Possessiveness


"How exactly did I break the engagement?!"

"Not coming home at night."

"I'm back, aren't I?"

"It's indecent."

"Song Liao!" Shi Yao asked, "What exactly did I do that was indecent?"

"You know for yourself."

"You think I went out and cuckolded you?"

"Shut up!"

"I didn't." Shi Yao looked at him seriously and said, "Song Liao, I am a complete person with a mind and soul, not your personal belongings or private property, I have my own principles."

"You went to Yanliu Lane."

"I only went to drink, I didn't do anything out of line."

"Didn't do anything?"

"Of course."

"I don't believe you."

"Believe it or not, you're hurting me now!" Shi Yao gestured for him to let go of him.

Song Liao's brows furrowed together, and after a long moment of stalemate, he finally released his hold on him.

"This possessiveness of yours is really strange eh," Shi Yao said, "you don't like me, and I don't like you."

"You like me." Song Liao looked at him with certainty, "You said it yourself, many times."

The original owner's feelings had nothing to do with him! Shi Yao felt a headache coming on: "That was once, I liked you once."

"And now?"

"Now that I've figured it out, I won't pester you anymore, Young Master Liao."

Song Liao's face changed drastically. He rose abruptly and walked out of the room, slamming the door shut with a loud bang.

Shi Yao: ?

Is Song Liao angry again?

Slamming the door in the middle of the night? Isn't that too childish?

To his surprise, his grounding was lifted the next day. After lunch, Song Liao even took him to the Nanyang Chamber of Commerce, saying that he was allowed to work as an interpreter at the Chamber of Commerce.

On the way to the Chamber of Commerce, Shi Yao thought, Song Liao is too volatile, isn't he? This young master's mind was really unpredictable.

However, he was allowed to work as an interpreter at the Chamber of Commerce!

That's great!

He could earn money and hug a big leg, heh heh!

The building of the Nanyang Chamber of Commerce was quite grand, standing in the busiest part of the shopping street, a European-style building covered with marble.

On the ground floor was the reception hall and offices, on the second floor there were offices and meeting rooms, and on the third floor, he had not been there yet, so he did not know what was inside.

In the office on the second floor, Shi Yao met Song Yuan.

As if he didn't expect to meet him here, a hint of surprise passed through his eyes, but in an instant, it turned into a gentle smile like a warm spring day.

Shi Yao winked at him and whispered, "I've just been released, you've been released too?"

Song Yuan's smile deepened, and he did not say anything, merely nodding slightly in greeting.

Song Liao said: "From today onwards, he will work here as a translator."

Song Yuan closed the document and gave his official signature smile, "Welcome, Mr. Shi."

Shi Yao excitedly sat down in the chair opposite him, "Then we are colleagues, where do I work? In this office? With you?"

Song Yuan's eyebrows were soft, and his eyes were smiling as he looked at him, "If you want, it's not bad."

"No." Song Liao interrupted harshly, "This is the president's office, how can you stay here as a translator?"

"Then where do I go?"

Song Liao said: "Come to my office."

Shi Yao asked: "Not here, but in your office, why?"

"Because you have to listen to me."

Shi Yao: ?

Although he was extremely reluctant, he did not want to be grounded by Song Liao again, so after registering with Song Yuan, he followed him to his office.

Song Liao was one of the directors of the Chamber of Commerce.

As soon as he entered his office, Song Liao found some documents, put them on the table and said to Shi Yao: "I will go out this afternoon. These are the business contracts with England Ruide Company, and they need to be translated by six o'clock. At six o'clock, I will pick you up for dinner."

"Wait, Young Master Liao! Aren't you supposed to talk about salary before you ask someone to do a job?"

"There is no salary," Song Liao said matter-of-factly, "I am your fiancΓ©, you belong to me, so naturally you have to work for me."

Shi Yao wanted to raise the paper and hit him on the head.

As if he had expected it, Song Liao grabbed his wrist and spoke in a threatening tone, "What? You don't want to?"

Shi Yao swallowed fearfully, "How could I? Of course I'm happy, very happy, extremely happy! I promise to complete the task on time!"

Only then did Song Liao leave, satisfied.

As soon as he left the Chamber of Commerce building, Shi Yao slipped into Song Yuan's office and vividly complained about Song Liao's bullying behaviour of not paying him a salary.

Song Yuan lowered his head and smiled, "Then Mr. Shi Yao, how much would you like in salary?"

When Shi Yao was in modern times, he was particularly good at bargaining. A friend of his had once told him that negotiating a salary was the same as buying something, and that one had to be ruthless in opening the price to allow room for bargaining.

So he said: "I'm not asking for much, just the same as you."

Naturally, Shi Yao knew how outrageous the asking price was, so he just said it casually.

Unexpectedly, with hardly any hesitation, Song Yuan said: "Okay."

Shi Yao looked at him incredulously, "President Yuan, are you serious?"

"Naturally."

"I-I-I-I'm just kidding!" Shi Yao hastily changed his tone, "I'd be content with half as much as you."

Song Yuan looked at him, still as poised and calm as ever: "I promise you."

"Then I want cash! Oceans!"

"Mhmm."

Why was Song Yuan such a smooth talker?

Why did Song Yuan look at himself so gently?

Revealing a hint of pampering?

This must be my illusion!

Illusion!

Back in Song Liao's office, Shi Yao opened the file for translation.

Without the modern electronic dictionary and convenient internet search tools, translating professional documents was really quite painful.

This reminded Shi Yao of the time when he took the CATTI, where the use of any electronic devices was prohibited. At that time, he carried a 10-pound paper dictionary into the examination hall, and inwardly complained, who uses a paper dictionary for translation in the 21st century? This exam is really too inhumane! (Angel: the CATTI is the Chinese Accreditation Test for Translators and Interpreters.)

Looking back now, he really should be grateful for the translation skills he honed while preparing for CATTI, as he was able to handle everything with ease even without the internet.

As he was immersed in his translation work, there was a knock at the door.

When he raised his head, he saw the figure of the man stepping inside.

"Shi Yao."

"That's me, and you are?"

Shi Yao thought the man looked a little familiar but couldn't particularly remember.

"Your memory is not very good."

When he looked at the man carefully, the words 'Shanghai Big Boss' immediately appeared in Shi Yao's mind.

A sophisticated hairstyle, mature temperament, sharp features, luxurious clothes, and the faint smell of nicotine smoke permeating his body.

"Ah, I remember now!" A light went off in Shi Yao's mind, "You're Mr. Ling, the mega-boss! Are you here to see Song Liao? He's out."

"I've come to find you."

"What do you want from me?"

"I need an interpreter, right now."

Shi Yao looked at the time, fifteen minutes past five, and Song Liao would be back soon.

He declined, "Mr. Ling, it's almost dinner time..."

"How about compensation in American dollars?" Ling Junde leaned over the table, "You can name your price as you wish."

As expected of a big boss, he was so generous! Unlike Song Liao, who only knew how to use his services for free!

Without even thinking, Shi Yao immediately decided to let Song Liao go: Okay, Boss! Where are we going to interpret? Let's go now!"

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: March 5, 2023

Comments