After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 4

Banquet Banquet Shura Field


Cai Zhu was taken aback by his sudden enthusiasm, but explained patiently, "Today is the day the Nanyang International Chamber of Commerce was established, and Master Song has specially hosted a banquet for the Chamber's distinguished guests. In addition to Young Master Song Liao, there is also our own Young Master Song Yuan, Sir Ling Junde, Sir Han Pu, and Master Jacob."

"Why is there a foreigner? Jacob? Jacob?"

"Master Jacob is not a foreigner, why don't you remember this? I've told you before. You both study at the same university."

"I'm sorry, I've had a brain fart, not only do I not remember him, I don't even know who that Song Yuan is."

Cai Zhu urged him to get up as she introduced them: "Young Master Song Yuan is the president of the Nanyang International Chamber of Commerce and the main head of several chambers of commerce, he is Young Master Song Liao's brother."

"Song Liao has a brother, huh? Isn't he your eldest young master?"

"In terms of seniority, Young Master Song Liao is the eldest son of the first family and has the most honourable status, so naturally he is the Young Master. Young Master Song Yuan is the eldest son of the side family, and is slightly older than him."

"What a mess of the eldest and side families, my head is spinning. What about that Jacob or whatever?"

"The Kong family of the Four Major Families, you should know about them, right?"

The Four Major Families of the Republic of China, Jiang, Song, Kong and Chen, Shi Yao naturally knew about them.

"Master Jacob was born to Master Kong and a foreign girl, and she gave him the name."

"So he's a mixed race, doesn't he have a proper Chinese name?"

"Yes, he is called Kong Xinghe, but everyone is used to calling him Jacob because..."

"Because what?"

"You'll know when you see him."

"And the other? Two gentlemen of what?"

"Sir Ling Junde is an industrialist, a big boss who invests in factories, and Sir Han Pu is a professor in the university."

The big boss of the Chamber of Commerce! A big boss! A university professor! And a mixed-race young master! No matter which thigh I hug, it's one step closer to getting rid of Song Liao! Wonderful!

Shi Yao washed up quickly and sat in front of the mirror: "Cai Zhu, do you have a make-up artist or something here? Hurry up and call them over to give me a new look, I want the most handsome one!"

Cai Zhu looked at him in confusion, "Makeup artist? Styling? What's that?"

"Well, it's like, something to make me look better."

Cai Zhu smiled, "Master Shi, you already look great."

"Really?" Although he was confident in his own face, who didn't like to hear compliments?

"Of course it's true."

"What about compared to Song Liao? Am I even better looking than him?"

Cai Zhu thought seriously for a while, "You and Young Master Song Liao, are on different levels..."

"Xiao Cai Zhu, can't you compliment me?" Shi Yao took on a teacher's attitude, "Come on, tell me, how does Song Liao compare to me? Song Liao is not even as good as my tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny little finger."

Cai Zhu's face suddenly changed dramatically.

Shi Yao was puzzled, "Does that scare you? Why?"

"It's true that I'm no match for you."

Shi Yao suddenly blushed dramatically.

No way!

Song Liao, wearing a sophisticated suit and holding a metal pocket watch in his hand, glanced down at it, "The banquet starts at twelve o'clock sharp, don't be late."

"Oh." Shi Yao tried to ignore his lavish suit that looked expensive, seemingly costing ten thousand silver dollars per square centimetre, and pretended not to be jealous at all and that he didn't want to have it at all: "You came here specifically to tell me this?"

"Of course, you represent me, it's our Song family, there can't be the slightest mistake."

"Oh! Got it!"

———

At eleven thirty, Shi Yao arrived at the banquet hall.

The banquet had not yet started and there were only waiters and servants, which was really boring. Shi Yao went to the side hall to wait first, and saw Song Xiang, Song Liao's younger sister.

"Miss Song, have you been well~" Shi Yao thought to himself, it's better to have a beautiful woman, I love beautiful women.

Song Xiang had a book in her hand and was reading it with her head down, the cover read ‘Introduction to Western Grammar’.

"Mr. Shi." Song Xiang closed the book and hid it behind her back, nodding her head to him in greeting.

"What book are you reading? Ah, an introduction to English grammar? How are you getting on?"

"Shhh," Song Xiang whispered, "you know my father forbids me from studying English."

Shi Yao was indignant: "It's unreasonable!"

"I'm a woman..."

"What's wrong with being a woman? The progress of women represents the progress of civilisation and the progress of society. Old antiques are just backward-minded, if he forbids you from learning you can learn in secret, I'll teach you."

"That's... I'm afraid it's not appropriate, isn't it?"

"What's inappropriate?" Shi Yao said, "Life is just a few decades, why do you care too much about the rules and etiquette? What does it matter to you what others think of you? The most important thing is to break free, follow your heart and be brave."

"Brilliant! Can't agree more!" There was a sudden whistle, and Song Xiang immediately hid the book in her bag. Jacob leaned on the porch, his deep blue eyes staring at Shi Yao: "You are, the little bird that Song Liao has hidden in the house?"

"Bird yourself, you're the bird."

Jacob laughed: "Not very good-tempered? Hmm? But I like... the way you look, why don't you come with me?"

Song Xiang: ?

Shi Yao: ?

With a pair of polished boots, Jacob strode up to Shi Yao in a gentlemanly manner, "I'm Jacob, nice to meet you, Shi Yao?"

"Nice to meet you too, of course it's better we don't know each other, why do you know my name?"

"Ahhhh, you don't know that, do you?" Jacob looked at him with a smile, "Not only do I know, we all know."

It was only then that Shi Yao realised, as an afterthought, that behind Jacob stood one, two, three, four people.

They were, respectively, his fiancΓ©, Song Liao.

Song Yuan, who looked very similar to Song Liao.

The boss Ling Junde, who looked full of money.

The elegant and bookish-looking Professor Han Pu.

It looked like the brilliant speech he had just made had been heard by more than just Jacob.

Shi Yao was tempted to mentally wax himself.

The way Song Liao was looking at him didn't seem right?

Trying to ignore Song Liao's hot gaze, Shi Yao tried to ease the slightly awkward atmosphere by enthusiastically acting as the master of ceremonies: "Distinguished guests! Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the...”

"Shi Yao," Song Liao interrupted him, "shut up."

"Oh. It seems I'm not needed here, I'm redundant, so I'll leave."

"Wait."

Several voices rang out at the same time.

Song Yuan was the first to inquire, "You can speak English so well? It just so happens that our Chamber of Commerce needs a translator."

Ling Junde was not to be outdone: "Our factory has recently introduced a new batch of foreign machines, and I also need an interpreter."

Han Pu smiled gently, "I am very interested in Mr. Shi's progressive ideas."

Jacob was dissatisfied: "What say you? My little bird?"

Shi Yao: ? What are they up to?

Song Xiang: ? Brother, your head looks a little green?

Song Liao: "Shut up!"

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: March 3, 2023

Comments