After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 2

Saving Sexual Orientation


Seeing that Song Liao was getting closer and closer to him, the distance between them was reduced to the minimum allowed by social courtesy.

Shi Yao immediately pushed him away and said, "Comenius once said that a man can only be a successful man if he first learns to rely on himself. You're already a successful man, so you have to rely on yourself."

"Comenius?" Although Song Liao had studied business at Cambridge University, he was not familiar with this person.

That was naturally the case, as Comenius was not in the field of business. He was a character that Shi Yao had slipped into his mind when he was memorising the 'Principles of Pedagogy' for his teaching qualification in modern times.

"He is not important. What's important is that, ahem, we should keep a certain distance." Shi Yao said, "I'm not used to you being so close to me."

"Shi Yao, are you playing hard to get?"

"What?"

"It was probably just a few days ago that you were begging me for my favour and mercy." Song Liao's fox eyes examined him shrewdly, "Didn't you?"

Shi Yao wanted to punch him in the face, how could anyone be so self-absorbed and arrogant? Besides, that was the original owner's past, it was none of his business. He rightly said, "I have reformed myself. I've reflected deeply on my mistakes and I intend to change my ways. So I have a proposal to make, but I don't know if I should make it."

"Speak."

"It was an arranged marriage between us. You don't like me, and I don't like you. But you can't get rid of me for the time being, otherwise we wouldn't be entangled in this. Instead of us looking at each other in disgust, let's make it a partnership, a win-win situation."

"What qualifications do you have to talk to me about cooperation?"

"Song Liao, do you hate me?"

After a short silence, Song Liao replied truthfully: "Yes."

"As long as you agree to cooperate with me, then I will do everything I can to cooperate with you and help you dissolve the engagement between us."

"What are your conditions?"

"I need you to provide me with shelter, basic personal freedom, and respect until the day we part."

For some reason, when he heard the word ‘parting', a hint of discomfort grew at the bottom of Song Liao's heart.

This was clearly the outcome he most wanted to see.

Song Liao had no feelings for Shi Yao, but Shi Yao had fallen in love with him at first sight and had pestered him with every possible means, so his dislike grew more and more intense.

Until today, until this moment.

The person in front of him had offered him such a contract, what reason did he have to refuse?

———

After stabilising Song Liao, Shi Yao planned to take a tour of the mansion.

But he was a bit of a road idiot, and the gardens and pavilions were so winding that he didn't know which way was north or south when he entered.

There was a lotus pond in the courtyard, and it was the height of summer, so the lotus flowers were in full bloom.

There were two girls sitting in the pavilion.

Shi Yao's heart immediately leapt up with joy. Ah! There's a girl!

Could it be because my relationship history in the modern world is so blank that God has finally opened his eyes?

He had already thought of a thousand different ways to strike up a conversation, but as soon as he approached, he heard one of the girls say sarcastically, "Shi Yao, are you trying to impress our little sister again? I advise you to save your breath, Xiao Mei won't pay any attention to you. Besides, if the Young Master doesn't like you, there is nothing Xiao Mei can do about it!"

Shi Yao's words lodged in his throat, "Huh?"

Nian Zhen snorted, "What? I'm telling you the truth, our little sister is very particular..."

"Come on, Nian Zhen, stop it." Song Xiang smiled at him, "Is Mr. Shi also here to see the lotuses?"

"Yes and no, I wanted to come to see the lotuses, but when I saw Xiao Mei, I thought of a poem."

Nian Zhen scoffed, "You can't read a single word, yet you still talk about poetry."

Shi Yao didn't feel angry, but looked out over the lake and softly recited, "To compare the lake with the lotus blossoms, light make-up and thick make-up are always appropriate."

Song Xiang looked at him, approvingly.

Shi Yao continued, “The Western poet Byron has a similar description in 'She is in the United States', one shade the more, one ray the less, just like this lotus flower..."

When she heard this, Song Xiang's face changed slightly, and Nian Zhen was so surprised that her jaw dropped, "You can speak foreign languages?"

"What's so strange about that?" Shi Yao had studied abroad for his undergraduate degree and had four 8s in the IELTS, a level that was not worth mentioning to him, but he forgot that this was in a foreign country. (Angel: The IELTS is an assessment on four key English language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking. A 7.0 is considered a good score.)

Song Xiang was a bit despondent: "Mr. Shi, to be honest, I'm surprised and envious of you. I've always wanted to learn about foreign languages, but I didn't have the chance."

"Why don't you go to school? It's obvious that the Song family is very rich."

"My family doesn't want their girls to study, and I probably won't be able to learn."

"It's not that difficult, I'll just teach you." Although he had been struck by lightning on his first day as a teacher, he could still barely be considered an English teacher!

"Mr. Shi," Song Xiang looked at him seriously, "I was wrong about you earlier, I..."

"Shi Yao."

Who is it? Can't you see I'm talking to a girl? Ignore.

"Shi Yao."

Who is it? Can't you see that this beauty is attracted to me? Can't you see that we're having a good conversation? Oh, why did she stop talking? Why didn't she continue to compliment me?

“Shi, Yao."

"Stop shouting! You're really rude, spoiling the fun..." Shi Yao turned his head to look at Song Liao and almost bit his own cheek: "Song Song Song..."

"What are you doing?"

Shi Yao swallowed nervously. What am I doing? I can't tell you I'm planning to pick up your sister, can I? He cleared his throat, “I'm here, ahem, to look at lotus flowers."

In the evening, the glow of the setting sun shone on Song Liao's profile, casting a warm glow over him.

Shi Yao was a little stunned.

When he had looked at Song Xiang earlier, he had already thought she was very pretty.

Now, when he saw Song Liao, he realised that beauty has its own layers.

Just as the moon reflects the sun's light, Song Xiang's beauty is like the moon, while Song Liao's is like the scorching sun.

It was as if he suddenly understood why the original Shi Yao had become so obsessed with him.

Wait, no, Shi Yao pinched himself hard, I'm a normal person! My sexuality is normal! No amount of good looks can shake it! Except... except if Song Liao becomes a girl!

"What did you say?"

Oh no, I almost said the last sentence of my complaint out loud. Shi Yao covered it up by saying: "I said that you two look like each other, you're both very good-looking. More beautiful than a lotus flower, and more pleasing to the eye."

"In that case," Song Liao looked at him with a smirk, "this should be good news for you."

"What news?"

“Father knows that I was with you last night and has decided that, as of today, you will move into my room and live with me."

Shi Yao: ???? I take back what I just said!!! 

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: March 1, 2023

Comments