My Vampire Faints at Blood Chapter 31

Vaccines May Have Side Effects


Under Doctor Shang's selfless and patient care, even though the vampire was not very cooperative, he had to follow the human doctor's instructions and honestly complete the two systematic treatments.

Satisfied, Doctor Shang drained the red wine he was holding as part of the association therapy. He patted the vampire's shoulder soothingly and gave him an encouraging hug, "That's good, there's no need to feel stressed about it, next time we'll up the ante." 

Although reluctant to associate good red wine with blood, and reluctant to go through the repetitive exercise of turning his canines into fangs, the vampire showed a fair degree of grace and patience. Favourably accepting the sudden embrace, he took a deep breath filled with the human doctor's sweet scent, "I must admit, my dear, you do smell very tempting..."

"I'm honoured. I'd love for you to bite me too –  let's try harder and try to get me to treat you to a meal. I've been donating blood for years, I'm pretty good at producing blood." Doctor Shang nodded, said thank you in a casual and insincere way, and then returned to the subject of treatment.

The words 'Can I kiss you?' that had been on the tip of his tongue were silenced by the human doctor. The vampire blinked tearfully, finally giving up on the idea for the moment and resigning himself to the painful reality that he had to be treated, "Thank you very much for your selflessness, I will always cooperate with your treatment and keep trying – Are you sure you don't need to sleep some more, my dear? I remember that you humans are mostly diurnal creatures, it should be your time to rest..." Looking at the time on the wall clock, the vampire asked again with concern.

Shang Haojia just waved his hand in a lively manner and poured himself another glass of wine, "Humans are of course creatures of the day, but how can an emergency doctor be considered human – I'd rather have a good meal at the moment. Is there anything decent to eat? What does that little wizard of yours eat?"

Wei Long smiled helplessly and was just about to reply when the phone in the other man's pocket vibrated again.

"If I have to work overtime today, then it will really be as though I didn't take a vacation..." Although he complained casually, the dedicated Doctor Shang took out his cell phone. However, when he glanced at the caller ID on it, he raised his eyebrows in surprise, "It's Muxi – Why is he calling me at this hour? Did Mr. He bring the boy to him?"

The vampire nodded and rose to his feet in concern, "He's been sent over, and Jialun only came back after confirming that he'd been handed over to the Special Department. He's upstairs resting now, do you need me to wake him up?" 

Shang Haojia, however, just waved his hand gently and picked up the phone, getting up from the couch and pacing twice, "Muxi, what's wrong, is that boy up to no good again?"

"Shrimp – shrimp sticks, come over here quickly, drink with me..." The voice on the phone sounded very drunk. 

Only after hearing that the youth wasn't in trouble did Shang Haojia finally breathe a sigh of relief. Standing still in front of the window that was already hazily penetrated by the light of dawn, he squeezed the tall glass and twirled it in his hand, "Didn't you say you were allergic to alcohol? You don't even drink at our lab parties, so what's all this fuss about now?"

 It took a while for the other man to understand him, and he hiccuped before speaking vaguely, "I'm not allergic – I just get pointy ears when I drink, and then my hair turns blonde and I'm extraordinarily handsome..."

"..."  Sensing that the other man was just blatantly showing off, Doctor Shang put the glass down coldly on the windowsill and kicked over the boat of friendship without hesitation, "Then use your racial talent and go pick up a girl to drink with you, my dear Mr. Light Elf–"

Before the boat of friendship could sink completely, Shang Haojia suddenly saw the vampire on the side gesturing at him uncontrollably. Raising his eyebrows slightly and stopping the conversation, he covered the microphone with one hand and turned sideways, "What's the matter – is there a problem?"

"The elven race is indeed like that. Although they can disguise themselves in human form during normal times, once they get drunk, they will change back to their original appearance. If we leave him like this, so much so that his identity is revealed, it will probably affect his employment in the Special Department again." The vampire explained in a low voice, and then hastened to look sincerely at the human doctor in front of him, raising a hand to his left shoulder and saying with a serious affection, "But in my eyes, there is no one more handsome and dashing than you, not even the elven one–"

"Okay okay, I'm willing to raise a dragon anyway, so there's no need for this between us." It was only when he heard that it would likely affect his best friend's employment that Shang Haojia's expression finally turned serious. Interrupting the vampire's eager praise, he pressed the phone back to his ear again.

Having seen how An Muxi had become a ball of tears at the police station, he knew that he obviously took his job very seriously. Although he didn't know what had happened to him that made him go off to drink like this, he knew it certainly wasn't worth losing his job over. They had been friends since the days when they made green bean soup together in the lab using the centrifuge, so Doctor Shang intended to give his brother a hand at a time like this.

The other side was apparently still pouring himself out in self-pity and had actually started humming in a daze. Thinking of the previous werewolf rampage accident, Doctor Shang almost instantly heard the siren of a level one war alert and snapped upright, "Talk to me, don't sing and we can still be friends – Where are you, I'm coming to you!"

"Look at you! Look at you! You're all like this, all of you! I really can't make sense of you..." Hearing his rejection, the elf suddenly showed some displeasure, muttering a complaint before finally giving his address, "It's over here in Houhai, the bar where we used to get together to listen to songs, the one where you were a resident singer for a while–"

"Okay, okay, I know, I'll be right there." When he heard that his history was being brought up, Shang Haojia interrupted him sheepishly and turned to the vampire, "It's too much trouble to ask you for a ride, just lend me a car, I know the way to the place."

"No, no, my dear – Not to mention that I would never be bothered by you, I have some things to do this evening and I can drop you off first, it's along the way." The vampire shook his head with a smile, leaning down slightly with one hand on his shoulder and winking at him again, "Don't forget that we have a promise to keep with Mr. Winged Lion to make him a wig – You originally answered his request because of me, and it is naturally incumbent upon me to need to do my part. I'll go and get all the materials tonight, so that we can start making it tomorrow."

"That's good. Don't push yourself, in fact, you should be able to get it on Taobao. I have seen the kind that cats wear to make them look like lions, they should be able to make a big one." With a slight hesitation, Shang Haojia nodded. The vampire picked him up skillfully and leapt out of the window with ease.

Leaning comfortably against the vampire's chest and feeling the cool night breeze hit his face, Doctor Shang suddenly remembered the cloak he had returned with and tapped him curiously on the shoulder, "By the way, I haven't asked you yet – if you have that cloak that can turn into black mist, why didn't you used it the previous times?"

"This..." Naturally, he couldn't say that the cloak was a tool used to attain success in his attempts to kiss the human doctor. The vampire was hesitant to answer when his eyes suddenly lit up and he tightened his embrace of the human in his arms and landed firmly outside a bar, "We're here, I can already smell Apostle Muxi – Is this the place?"

"Yes, this is it." Leaping out of the vampire's arms, Shang Haojia straightened his clothes and left the vampire, who obviously had something to hide, alone for the moment, "I'll finish up with him first and then we'll talk more. I'll call you later."

"Okay, you take care." The vampire nodded with a light smile, suddenly gathering the courage to step forward and gently embrace the human in front of him, intending to take advantage of the opportunity to kiss him smoothly.

"I'll be fine, it's you who should be more careful, and remember that there's no shame in making a strategic retreat if you can't beat them." Already used to the other man's eagerness to ask for a hug, Shang Haojia graciously accepted his hug and patted him on the back, then turned around and hurried towards the bar.

Wei Long was left standing in the same place, stunned for a long time before finally slackening his stance. Sighing softly in frustration, he pulled out his little notebook again and unhappily crossed out another passage from the guide.

Apparently not yet realising where his vampire's frustration was coming from, Shang Haojia entered the bar and, looking around, caught a glimpse of the elf sitting in the corner, pouring himself a drink.

With blonde hair, pointed ears, and snow-white skin, the elven features had been exposed to the fullest extent. Fortunately, he was sitting next to a group of cosplayers who were going to some comic convention, each one in exaggerated fancy costumes and with elaborate makeup on their faces, which dulled the genuine elf.

Pulling the already drunk elf slime up and squeezing it into a human shape, he held it steady and placed it on a chair. Rubbing his temples with a headache, Doctor Shang sighed tearfully, "What are you tossing and turning about – it's not like it's the first time you've been out of tune, so why are you suddenly giving up on yourself like this? Where's that young man I got you? Even he couldn't save you?"

"We went to record, and halfway through, he couldn't control it anymore and started to howl." An Muxi sighed heavily, poured another glass of wine into his mouth and collapsed on his shoulder with tears in his eyes, "I was shocked and said that it wouldn't work – I dragged him to the Special Department to get him checked out quickly, only to find that while his wolfish tendencies had been suppressed by the serum, the husky genes were just too strong, so he is a bit like a dog..."

"..." Doctor Shang held the elf, who was slumped over his shoulder, in sullen silence for three seconds, "I don't know if that's considered a side effect... is there anything that can be done?"

"This is normal. Just like when you get a vaccine and sometimes develop a fever, if you drink plenty of water and rest, the side effects will be gone within three days." The deeply traumatised light elf waved his hand impatiently, then squeezed his shoulder and sat up straight with tears in his eyes, "You don't even care about me! I'm the one who's suffering the most from this! I don't get it, I know I sing badly, but is it really that devastatingly bad!"

"Well – it's probably not devastatingly bad. At least, at least the little guinea pigs who listened to you sing are still alive..." Feeling the other man's emotions get a little out of hand momentarily, Doctor Shang phrased his words carefully and raised his hand to hold his arm, "Come on, think outside the box – I heard from Mr. Wei that you even stopped the archmage from chanting. You can't sing, so don't sing, don't you elves know anything other than singing?"

"Nonsense, others don't know how I stopped him from singing, don't you know that?" Smacking his hand away, the elf, who had been plagued by off-key singing, broke down and hiccupped in tears, "You know, anyone who sings with me will be corrupted by me – the archmage just got so frustrated with me that he couldn't chant anymore..."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: October 2, 2021

Edited: August 3, 2023

Comments

  1. I thought Muxi was pretty strong even if he couldn't sing since he could stop the archmage when he was only a teen. But now we knew how he stopped the archmage. 😅

    Although maybe Doctor Shang could suggested him to try human's way for him problem. like wig for the lion.

    Muxi could recorded his singing and then the young werewolf could tuned it into something decent. Then he could lip sync at the test. 😝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Muxi is known as the only person who was able to stop the archmage but yet no one knew how shameful that incident was for him 😅

      I kind of hope that Doctor Shang can help him out and find a solution for him, even if it is simply lip syncing 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you guys think about this chapter! I love to hear all of your comments.

Be sure to check back, as I always try my best to respond to every comment I receive!