My Vampire Faints at Blood Chapter 28

You Should Have Three Meals a Day


The cloak insulated him from the coolness of the rain, and by the time Shang Haojia opened his eyes again, he was lying in the same large bed he had slept in once before.

The deep sleep did a good job of dispelling his tiredness. The human doctor rubbed his eyes and sat up with a rare lazy yawn.

This time, the vampire was not guarding the room, there was only a warm yellow table lamp lit on the table in the corner. The window was half open and the air smelled fresh from the rain. Feeling that all of the clothes were still on his body, Shang Haojia was relieved. He lifted the covers and got out of bed, then followed his memory to find the stairs, walking down one floor at a time.

"My dear friend – did you have a good rest?" The vampire was sitting on the sofa in the living room. When he heard his footsteps, he rose with a smile and greeted him, "The winged lion has been waiting here for you for some time, and if you have recovered your energy, he probably has something he is anxious to consult with you about."

"It's all right, I know that humans are weak, so if you can't hold on, rest a little longer, I'm not in that much of a hurry." Largely because of his request, the winged lion's attitude seemed generous, and he waved his massive paw cheerfully as he sipped from his cup. "I'll start by introducing myself – my name is Sheng Kobike, I am a winged lion of the Sixteen Beasts of the Holy Clan, and I currently serve in the sky branch of the Special Department for Traffic Accident Management and Investigation."

"My name is Shang Haojia, I'm a human doctor, currently employed at the city hospital, in the emergency department..." Introducing himself in the same fashion as he did, Doctor Shang realised that he was becoming more and more accustomed to declaring his race, as if he was becoming more and more detached from human society. Doctor Shang couldn't help but rub the corner of his forehead, suddenly feeling vaguely worried about his future.

Sheng Kobike obviously didn't notice his thoughts, and simply nodded towards him in a friendly manner, "Your vampire has a land licence, so he is not my responsibility, but if you truly can help me, I can help you get a pegasus – Although the dragon in question said that pegasi are timid, they are also docile and one of the races that are allowed to go to the heavens. As such, they are the most suitable for races like you humans and elves to ride.

"I have no intention of going to Heaven just yet, but thank you very much for your kindness." Shang Haojia shook his head with a smile, declining the overly enthusiastic offer, then walked over to the sofa and sat down. He was looking around for a piece of paper to write down his medical history when the vampire on the other side handed over a piece of delicate cowhide paper.

"Would you like some simple refreshments? I can have them sent over."  Taking a seat beside the human doctor, the vampire's body tilted slightly in his direction and he thoughtfully lowered his voice, "I've heard that humans are supposed to follow a routine of eating three meals a day. Perhaps I am exaggerating, but my dear friend, your lifestyle has clearly become very unscientific."

I can't believe I am being taught to be scientific by a vampire. Doctor Shang was once again impressed by the wonders of the world, but nodded in resignation and accepted the vampire's health education with an open mind, "Is there anything that will quench my hunger?  I do think I'm dying of hunger right now..." 

"Please don't worry, I've already prepared it especially for you." The vampire's pale, handsome face wore a pleased smile and with two gentle claps of his hands, a plate of cake and a tray of biscuits floated down the stairs and landed shakily on the table.

"Good – let's get started. Mr. Sheng Kobike, can you briefly describe your condition? I need to know more about your condition before I can determine whether I should first offer some simple treatment options for you, or whether I should refer you to one of my colleagues to have them take a closer look." Already accustomed to this kind of serving, Doctor Shang nodded politely towards the emptiness and, with his arms folded over his chest and his body leaning slightly forward, he went back into his standard professional state. 

"Good, I won't beat around the bush with you then." The winged lion nodded repeatedly and took two steps forward before sighing heavily, "It gives me a headache to bring up this matter – I used to have a beautiful mane, and in my clan, I was considered a beautiful male lion. But then, after the summer ended, my mane started to fall out. I tried many things, but nothing worked. It was so bad that it was falling out in pieces. When I got angry, I shaved my head, but after shaving it, the bastards laughed at me, saying I didn't look like a male lion! It really pissed me off..."

"Okay – I roughly understand." Shang Haojia nodded soberly, taking the opportunity to stuff two biscuits into his mouth and take a sip from the milk tea handed to him by the vampire on the side, "Apart from the hair loss, have you had any other unusual symptoms? Any changes in your lifestyle? Have you suffered any illnesses prior to your hair loss?"

"No, I don't think so – You're human, so you don't know, but it's actually quite hard for us non-human races to get sick." Apparently not noticing the small movements of the two, the winged lion tilted his head and thought carefully for a long time, before shaking his head gently and with uncertainty again, "However, one day, I gave a wizard a ticket for unlicensed flying on a broom, and he got quite angry and cursed me. At the time, I thought that I was blessed with the power of the Holy Family and didn't take it seriously – It can't be because of that, can it?"

"I'm human, no doubt, but based on the non-human races I've seen so far, there really don't seem to be too many that aren't sick..." Unable to believe that asking about past history has led to a witch's curse, Doctor Shang shook his head and decisively gave up on taking the medical history, "If it's a physical illness, I can always find a solution. However, if it's a curse, I may just have to come up with some ideas on how to treat the symptoms first."

"Oh my goodness – just treating the symptoms is enough! As long as I can stop unjustly suffering, you can have whatever you want!" At his words, instead of feeling disappointed, the winged lion sat up straighter with unusual enthusiasm and flapped his wings twice in excitement, "Come on, come one, I don't care whether it's curing the symptoms or the root cause, just give me a treatment for now, it's killing me..."

"Here's the thing, Mr. Winged Lion," Shang Haojia couldn't help but smile lightly, sitting up slightly straighter and looking at him in a serious manner, "among us humans, patients who have poor reactions to treatment or who have lost their hair for some special reason usually have another option – buying a wig."

There were suddenly two soft coughs from beside him. Shang Haojia turned his head to the vampire who was struggling to hold back his laughter. When he saw him looking over, he hurriedly waved his hand towards him apologetically, "I'm very sorry, I'm just very surprised at this solution..."

"What's that thing? Is it something that we winged lions can use too?" The winged lion flapped his wings excitedly and came up to him, lifting one paw to pat his back, "You get me one and I'll get you a pegasus – or, if you really don't want to go up to Heaven, I'll get you an invisibility cloak. Anyway, even though it's forbidden to casually sell equipment now, equipment such as the invisibility cloak seems to be unregulated, so you will have an additional tool to protect yourself with..." 

This was obviously a very tempting suggestion. 

Shang Haojia raised his eyebrows and was pondering whether he should agree to it or not when the vampire on the side suddenly stepped forward and shook the winged lion's paw with a smile, "Mr. Winged Lion, we will find a way to help you get a wig, and I hope you will keep your promise."

"Not a problem, since you two are family anyway, I'll take his yes as your yes." The winged lion nodded cheerfully, and seeing that the opposite party had switched from a fragile human to a vampire, he stopped reserving his strength and shook his paws with enthusiasm and vigour, "I still have to do my duty, I can't stay with you long. Can you get it done in three days? If not, two more days –"

"That's enough."  Realising that the vampire obviously had other intentions, Shang Haojia nodded and took over, "Then it's settled, at this time in three days, we'll meet here – is that okay?"

"Yes, yes, there's absolutely no problem – I'll leave you to it then. I'll see you soon, and I'll bring you the cloak in three days." With a friendly nod towards him, the winged lion turned and headed out the door, flapping his wings twice to take to the air and disappear into the dark night sky.

"My dear friend, please forgive me for being so reckless as to promise this on your behalf." With a wave of his hand to draw the doors closed, the vampire then turned to the human doctor on the side and apologetically leaned down slightly with one hand on his shoulder, "I really had some unspeakable problems and had to get this over with as soon as possible..."

"Does the wizard he ticketed live here too?" Shang Haojia didn't feel offended. Picking up his cup of tea, he took a sip as he walked around back to the sofa and sat down, "I more or less guessed it when I saw you stand up – but what the hell was he thinking? What kind of magical thinking would be required to curse someone to become bald..." 

"I'll explain this in more detail to you later, my dear friend – we are now faced with a much more dire situation." The vampire shook his head gently and his face went serious. He refilled his cup of tea for him before he sat down again on the sofa across from him, "While you were resting, I used my network of contacts to investigate the identity of that Wayne Loki. If I'm not mistaken, he should probably be the heir to the Leith family. It's a mob family that refused to sign the Covenant and is on the blacklist as far as vampire hunters are concerned."

Having no concept of each of those terms, Shang Haojia stuffed a mouthful of cake into his mouth and nodded thoughtfully, "So when you investigated, did you find that their family had a habit of sucking the blood of other species?"

"Not yet, so the matter still strikes me as odd. But according to the information, he had a conflict with a werewolf family that was a member of the underworld, and both families are still at war with each other to this day – When you went to the police station, you were stopped by a fight between a low-level vampire and a werewolf, I'm afraid it has something to do with this." The vampire responded slowly, his eyes already taking on a bit of seriousness, "If we let them keep fighting like this, the worst that could happen is that the Special Department will expel all the non-human races from the city, and if we don't leave, we will be judged as staying illegally."

"Come on, let's sort out the current situation carefully first and see what's really going on." Hearing that the outcome would actually be this grim, Shang Haojia's expression followed suit as he sat upright and unfolded the piece of cowhide paper, "The situation is now one where Wayne Loki and a werewolf are pitted against each other, we'll call him Jia Duo Bao for now..." (Angel: The author uses 加多宝, which is both the name of a herbal drink and of the company that makes it. I considered changing it to John Doe, the name used when the real name of a man is unknown, but I chose to just leave it as it is.)

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: September 5, 2021

Edited: August 2, 2023

Comments

  1. I thought Doctor Shang would described some hair loss medicine for human. But consit was a curse, a wig was a quick and simple solution for now.

    I just couldn't stop thinking where could they find a store that sold a lion's mane wig?

    Ah finally there's a real problem. A battle between vampire and werewolves! Can't wait how a human doctor could contribute to stop the war. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that his solution was as simple as just getting a wig, well relatively simple 😂😂

      I'm excited to get further into this real problem 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you guys think about this chapter! I love to hear all of your comments.

Be sure to check back, as I always try my best to respond to every comment I receive!