After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 22

Who Do I Like?


"Shi Yao," Song Liao asked, "what is this nonsense in your head?"

"You didn't make it clear about what your secretary has to do."

"I think it's common sense."

"Drafting documents, organising information, arranging schedules, I don't have to wash clothes and cook, do I? Then I won't."

"I know you won't." Song Liao added, "I know that very well."

"You say that like you do."

"I don't need to."

"Then I don't need to either."

"Are you the secretary or am I the secretary?"

"Do you want to hire a secretary or do I want to hire a secretary?"

There was a sort of back-and-forth between the two, and as they watched Song Liao, who was usually so arrogant and superior, being silenced by Shi Yao, the room was filled with stifled laughter.

"Shut up!" Song Liao directly ended the conversation, "Next Monday morning at nine o'clock sharp, come to work at the Song residence."

"Okay, Young Master, may I take my leave?"

Back at the apartment, the light was on.

Was Song Yuan back already?

When he pushed open the door, he saw that Song Yuan was dealing with a document.

On the table were mountains of letters, contracts and accounts.

Shi Yao said, "Youlan, I'm back."

Song Yuan immediately stopped what he was doing and smiled at him, "Okay, I'll go make dinner."

"Wait, didn't you resign from the Chamber of Commerce and become unemployed like me? Why are you so busy?"

Song Yuan took the document away and put it in a neat pile: "Yao'er, give me a little more time, I'll tell you later."

"Okay." Shi Yao said, "I'm so hungry, what's for dinner tonight?"

"What do you want to eat?"

"I want to eat a lot of meat."

"Okay."

In the kitchen, while Song Yuan cooked the rice, Shi Yao stood around foolishly.

It wasn't that he hadn't offered to help, but since he really didn't know how to cook, he always ended up helping less and less.

Song Yuan said, "It's okay, I'll do it."

Shi Yao asked him, "Youlan, you're not doing anything dangerous behind my back, are you?"

Song Yuan paused his motion of chopping of the meat: "How could I?"

"If you were doing something dangerous, I would worry about you. This era is different from the one I was in before, human life is worthless, and I'm afraid something might happen to you."

"Yao'er, I am very happy that you care so much about me." Song Yuan smiled, "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"Good, I don't know many people here, I hope everyone around me can be safe."

"Mhmm." Song Yuan asked, "What was it like in the time you lived in before?"

"Not that great, but not that bad either. Technology s very advanced, but people's hearts are very far away. I was able to live and work in peace and contentment, but my desires seemed to be never satisfied."

"People's desires are always endless."

"Is that true for you too?"

"As a human instinct, of course."

"But what makes us human is that we can control our desires." Shi Yao said, "Because there are principles to be adhered to in your heart, you will not become a slave to your desires."

"What are your principles, Yao'er?"

"To be honest inside and out, to be sincere and passionate, to be open and honourable, and not to be a bad person."

"How cute." Song Yuan put the finished dishes on the table, "If you are not a bad person, you will be hurt by bad people."

"I don't care." Shi Yao served a bowl of rice and handed it to Song Yuan, then served himself some rice: "You have to be sincere with people in order to meet people who are equally sincere. Whether I'm hurt or seen as a fool, I'll never wrong anyone."

Song Yuan smiled and put a piece of meat in Shi Yao's bowl.

"Hey, what are you smiling for, do you think I'm foolish?"

"That's somewhat idealistic."

"I am an idealist

"I envy you, Yao'er, it's good to have your own beliefs and be willing to work hard to practise them." Song Yuan said, "From now on, I'll do the bad things."

"Don't do bad things!"

"Okay." Song Yuan gave him another piece of meat: "Whatever you say."

———

At nine o'clock on Monday morning, Shi Yao came to work at the Song residence.

He was keenly aware that the atmosphere in the Song residence was completely different from when he had left.

When he had first crossed over, he had felt that the Song residence was magnificent, thriving and well-organised.

Now, however, there was an inexplicable sense of tension.

On his way to Song Liao's office, he bumped into Cai Zhu.

It had been a long time since he had seen her, and Cai Zhu looked at him excitedly: "Mr. Shi, you and Young Master are back together?"

"What? It's not like that, I'm just here to work."

Cai Zhu's expression quickly dimmed: "Working, what kind of work?"

"To work as a secretary for Song Liao."

"I don't understand the affairs of you scholars, but," Cai Zhu deliberately lowered her voice and said, "Mr. Shi, the Song family is not in peace these days, so you should take care of yourself."

"What's going on?"

"Master Song's health is not as good as it used to be, and the situation is very critical, the Song family is in a state of fear and chaos."

"Master Song is ill?"

"Shh!" Cai Zhu hastily covered his mouth, "Young Master Shi, there are ears on the walls. The Young Master has been having a hard time lately, so please be more understanding of him."

Shi Yao was confused, but he had a feeling that something big was going to happen to the Song family!

He skipped work temporarily and went to Master Song's courtyard. From afar, he watched the servants going in and out to serve him, and the air smelled strongly of medicine.

After hesitating for a while, Shi Yao stepped inside. Fortunately, he had spent some time in the Song family, and Master Song had been good to him during that time.

After all, he had once been a marriage partner of the Song family, so when the maid recognized him, she did not stop him.

Shi Yao took the bowl of medicine and sat on the edge of the bed: "Master, do you still remember me? I am Shi Yao."

Master Song opened his cloudy eyes and his voice was hoarse: "Yao... er, you're here."

"Mhmm, it's me."

"N-no... no." Master Song sighed, "You-you're not him!"

A chill suddenly ran down Shi Yao's back, and he almost fumbled and spilled the medicine bowl.

"Shi Yao... child, let me have a look at you." Shi Yao put the medicine bowl aside and Master Song held his hand, "The two, the two brothers of the Song family, help me, look after them more."

"Okay."

"Song Yuan, Youlan, ah, I have wronged him, this is all my, retribution." Master Song's eyes were wet: "Song Liao, Duheng, and you, I've failed you, Yao'er, for the sake of the past, help..."

At this point, Master Song became more and more agitated: "Promise... me."

Shi Yao had no idea what he meant. He couldn't even help himself, so what could he do?

"Yao'er, Yao'er... promise me."

Shi Yao said, "Okay, I promise you."

With Shi Yao's promise, Master Song then lay down again, closed his eyes and left this world forever.

Song Liao rushed back to deal with the funeral, and was very busy. For a whole month, he didn't get much rest.

Shi Yao could feel that since the death of Master Song, the Song family had gone from bad to worse, and the burden on Song Liao had become increasingly heavy.

One night, when Shi Yao was sorting out some information for him, Song Liao suddenly asked, "Do you remember the first time we met?"

Shi Yao wanted to say, of course I remember, it was the first day I crossed over, I opened my eyes and saw the two of us sleeping together, and my view of the world was shattered.

Song Liao was referring to his encounter with the original owner.

However, he had no memories from the original owner.

Song Liao recalled, "It was a rainy day, you were cowering in an empty corner, your eyes wet, like a stray cat abandoned by a human, and I took you home."

Some fragments of the scene appeared in his mind, and Shi Yao began to have a headache.

Song Liao continued, "At that time, I didn't like you at all, and I was even bored with you, so why did you cling to me so much, huh?"

Shi Yao's face was pale as a flurry of memories rolled through his head, but he could not remember anything. He was breathing heavily, clutching his head, his collar drenched in cold sweat.

"What's wrong with you?" Song Liao noticed something strange about him: "Not feeling well?"

"N-no, I just," Shi Yao clenched his hands tightly, his nails sinking deep into his palms, "I can't remember."

"Are you really, Shi Yao?" Song Liao asked doubtfully, "You told me before that you weren't him. I didn't believe it at all, but now, I'm gradually starting to understand that you might not be lying."

"Song Liao, I didn't lie to you." Shi Yao looked at him seriously, "I'm sorry I took over his body, but I had no choice."

"Who are you?"

"Shi Yao."

"Another Shi Yao?"

"Yes."

"From that night?"

"Yes, that was the first time I saw you and you were the first person I met here."

"What about him? Where did he go?"

"I don't know, I'm sorry."

"Tell me about you, what kind of person are you?"

"I am who I am."

"Shi Yao, I can't tell."

"Can't tell what?"

"Whether I like you, or whether I like him."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 20, 2023

Comments