After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 12

A Glimpse into the Hidden


Back at the ballroom, Song Yuan was already there waiting for him.

Shi Yao could only follow him obediently, and the two of them headed home together.

On the way back, Shi Yao asked Song Yuan, "What if, there is something that, although risky, is highly rewarding, should it be attempted?"

"That's too general a question, it depends on the circumstances." Song Yuan replied to him, "If it were me, I would try it even if it was risky. If it were you, no."

"Why?"

"Because I would be worried about you."

For no reason, a wave of warmth flowed into his heart, and Shi Yao said, "As expected of my brother, you care about me so much."

"I care about you, but not because of that." Song Yuan looked at him amusedly, "What's more, it's not like you and Song Liao are really married, so why am I your brother?"

"Is that what you told Jacob in the ballroom just now?"

"That was just to annoy him."

"You're quite fickle, Youlan."

“Yao'er, it's called eloquence."

"Then so am I, I'm good at quibbling."

Song Yuan laughed, "That's really a great talent."

Shi Yao's mind was made up, but in this day and age, there were no cell phones, so there was no way to notify Ling Junde.

There was a landline in Song Liao's bedroom, but he didn't dare take the risk of Song Liao finding out about it, as it would definitely not make for a good night.

So Shi Yao asked, "Song Yuan, Song Yuan, do you have a phone in your room?"

“Mhmm."

"Then can I go to your room later and use it?"

"Okay."

When they arrived at the Song residence and entered Song Yuan's room, it was quite different from Song Liao's.

Song Liao's bedroom was extremely luxurious, while Song Yuan's was much more low-key.

There was a light-coloured carpet against the wall and a metal end table with a landline on top.

Song Yuan showed Shi Yao how to use the rotary landline, and then deliberately left the room for his privacy and went to the inner room, thoughtfully shutting the door for him.

Shi Yao fished Ling Junde's business card out from his pocket and dialled the number on it.

After a few rings, the call was answered and a pleasant female voice came from the other side: "Good evening, Keming Company, how can I help you?"

"Good evening!” Shi Yao said, "I'm looking for Mr. Ling Junde."

"Mr. Ling is not in the office at the moment, please leave a message if you need anything."

Ah! Communication was so inconvenient in an age without cell phones and the internet!

"Okay, this is Shi Yao. Shi as in time, Yao as in carefree. Please tell Mr. Ling that I've agreed to join the team!”

Hanging up the phone, Shi Yao intended to look for Song Yuan to say thank you.

Unexpectedly, when he pushed open the door of the inner room, Song Yuan was changing his clothes.

Shi Yao immediately covered his eyes, "Sorry, sorry! Excuse me!"

But then he thought, he's not a girl, he's not naked, so what's the harm in looking?

He took a peek and saw that he had a nice body, although it was a little worse than his own.

But why was there a horrible scar under his collarbone?

"It's okay," Song Yuan smiled as he watched Shi Yao nervously peeking through his fingers, "I have a slight cleanliness problem. I don't like the smell I got from the dance hall, so I changed into clean clothes."

"Song Yuan," Shi Yao couldn't help but ask, “that scar you have, what's it from?"

Song Yuan lowered his eyes and buttoned his shirt carefully, not answering.

"I'm sorry!" Shi Yao immediately apologised, "This is your personal privacy, I shouldn't have asked."

"Yao'er, I can have no privacy when it comes to you." Song Yuan smiled at him, "It's not anything glamorous, are you willing to listen?"

"Willing."

"My mother was a dance hall singer, and my father had a fling with her, they got together, and they had me." Song Yuan's tone was calm and indifferent, as if he was talking about a trivial matter that had nothing to do with him: "My father's original wife came from the Jiang family, the head of the four major families. When she found out about it, she naturally refused to let it go, and my father regarded the affair as a stain and a shame on his life. After my mother gave birth to me, she died."

Shi Yao didn't know how to console him, and could only pat him on the shoulder.

"They said that Mother died in childbirth." Song Yuan's smile was still as gentle as ever: "Yao'er, do you believe that?"

Before Shi Yao could say anything, Song Yuan continued, "I was often bullied as a child, and this scar was left at that time."

"It's different now, don't be sad, Youlan. You've grown up now, you've become super powerful, and you're the president of the Chamber of Commerce!" Shi Yao reassured him, "That's all behind you now, and your mother would be very happy to see that from up there. She would want you to be happy, wouldn't she?"

“Mhmm, I'm not sad anymore." Song Yuan rubbed Shi Yao's hair, "Thank you."

"Song Yuan, do you have any wishes?"

"Many. The latest one is," Song Yuan looked at him, "that the person I like can like me."

Shi Yao's heart inexplicably skipped a few beats: “Mhmm mhmm mhmm, may your dreams come true."

"What about you? What's your wish?"

"I want to leave the Song family, get rid of Song Liao’s shackles completely and stand on my own two feet!"

"What will you do after you leave the Song family?"

"Work to earn a living, what else?"

"Then what will you do to earn a living?"

"Sell newspapers, sweep the streets, wash dishes, move bricks, whatever." Shi Yao added, "No, I still have a bottom line, I'm so good looking, I'm sure many rich women will hit on me, so selling my body won't work!"

Song Yuan couldn't help but smile, "Yao'er is really noble."

"It's not impossible to give more."

Song Yuan's smile faded: "How much is more?"

"I'm just teasing you." Shi Yao poked him in the cheek triumphantly, "I want to become a freelance translator and set up a translation studio."

"Okay." Song Yuan said, "I'll remember that."

"What's the use of remembering my dream?"

"If I help you realise your dream," Song Yuan's voice was gentle, "perhaps, you can help me realise mine too."

What a bunch of twists and turns!

Shi Yao couldn't understand this riddle-like literary path at all, so he said, "I'm going to bed then, bye."

He went back to Song Liao's room and had just touched his pillow.

He heard some jealous king sourly say, "Shi Yao, did you just come out of Song Yuan's room?"

Shi Yao: ...... He didn't want to argue, so he pretended he didn't hear.

He rolled over and wrapped the pillow around his head.

"Shi, Yao." Song Liao lifted the pillow up and tossed it aside, "I am talking to you."

"Young Master Liao, why are you so fiery every day? Did you put a GPS locator on me?"

"Song Yuan was born lowly and has bad intentions, you should avoid interacting with him."

When Shi Yao heard this, he became furious: "Young Master Liao, we all know that you are extremely valuable, but don't trample on others, okay?"

"You're defending him? Contradicting me?"

"I'm not, I just think it's best not to judge..."

"What do you know?" Song Liao interrupted him, "You're mine, and I don't want you to be in danger."

"What danger could I be in?"

"Song Yuan is dangerous."

"How can that be?"

"You never used to question me, and you never sided with others." Song Liao looked a little hurt: "Why exactly?"

Shi Yao's heart suddenly throbbed violently, this kind of strong emotion shouldn't belong to him, right?

Could it be, the original owner's feelings for Song Liao?

Song Liao gently embraced him and whispered, "Why exactly?"

Shi Yao did not push him away, and stroked his back.

I'm sorry, I've taken over his body, I'm not him.

I am no longer the Shi Yao that once was.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 10, 2023

Comments