After Crossing Over to the Republic of China, I've Become a Heartthrob Chapter 10

Late Night One on One


The following morning, Shi Yao arrived at Nanyang University to attend a class.

The lecture on 'Ancient European History' was given by a gentleman who was more than half a century old.

The gentleman's voice was so hypnotic that within two minutes of listening, Shi Yao had already drifted off to sleep.

He was awakened by a noise, and when he opened his eyes, he saw Jacob attracting bees and butterflies.

The main session usually lasted two hours, with a twenty minute break in the middle.

It was the break in the lecture and Jacob was leaning against his desk, surrounded by boys and girls.

He said in that gorgeous voice, "Yes, girls, my eyes are quartz blue."

"Wow, that's really beautiful."

"I am honoured by your compliment. In fact, I am of English nobility."

This was so far gone that Shi Yao couldn't help but sputter, "So is your heritage from the House of Windsor or the House of Hanover?"

Jacob smiled at him, "The House of Plantagenet, which ruled England since Henry II, and the family crest is a red lion"

"Are you serious?"

"What? You don't believe me?" Jacob pushed his way through the crowd to his side: "Am I not worthy of your trust?"

“N-no, I just feel a little..." Jacob looked at him with a look of utter innocence and injury, his blue eyes rippling. Shi Yao softened for a moment and said, "Of course I believe."

Jacob smiled triumphantly, "Thank you. Oh yes, did you get your report card?"

"What report card?"

"The grades for last semester's classes, you haven't picked them up from the Registrar's office yet?"

"No."

"Then they probably mailed it to your house, good luck, Xiao Yao Yao."

When he returned to the Song residence in the evening, Shi Yao had a vague sense of foreboding.

Song Liao was holding a file in his hand, and his tone sounded like the calm before a storm: "Shi Yao, I got your report card today."

"Oh, okay, then you can give it to me." Shi Yao took the file, but Song Liao did not release his hand.

"I've contributed money and effort to enrol you in classes, and this is the kind of result you're giving me?"

"I haven't seen the results yet." Besides, this was the original owner's report card! Why is he the one taking the blame!

"Then you must give it back to me, read, it, carefully."

Shi Yao opened the file folder and pulled out the mediocre report.

Name: Shi Yao

Department: Department of Foreign Studies, School of Humanities

Year: First-year

Course Results:

Chinese Language: 8

Arithmetic: 3

English: 5

Introduction to Foreign Literature: 4

English Anthology: 7

French Anthology: 6 

History of Western Civilization: 5

Shi Yao asked cautiously, "Is the full mark ten?"

"What do you think?"

"It's ten, ha ha, isn't that good? There's an eight."

"A perfect score is a hundred."

Shi Yao completely turned to stone.

Oh my god! As expected of me!

I never thought I would be a scum before and still be a scum after crossing over.

However, at least I am good at English, this original owner is even worse than me.

Song Liao said, "You're rather happy, aren't you?"

"It's okay. Ah no, I'm particularly uncomfortable.” Shi Yao pretended to be pained, "I'm so sorry to you."

“Shi Yao," Song Liao threatened in his ear as he pinned him against the wall, "There will be a make-up exam at the end of the month, and if you don't pass it, you won't be going back to school."

Wow, so good? Shi Yao's heart was already setting off fireworks, who wants to go to this shitty school, I don't want to study anymore anyway!

"Of course, you won't be allowed to go back to the Chamber of Commerce either." Song Liao added: "You will be a vase at home, serving my food and drink and my daily life. I will keep you at home and you will never set foot outside the Song residence again."

“I-I-I swear!" Shi Yao was so frightened that he immediately raised his right hand above his head, "I will hang my head from a beam and stab my thighs, read by candlelight and dance at night, so that I can live up to Young Master Liao's nurturing grace!"

On the second day, Han Pu's class was held at school.

At the end of the lecture, Han Pu invited Shi Yao to go with him to the Xinmin School.

Shi Yao said, "Professor Han, I really want to go, but I've failed my course and I have to go to the library to study."

Han Pu asked, "Which one did you fail?"

"All of them."

“All of them?"

Shi Yao pulled out the crumpled report card and handed it to him.

Han Pu said curiously, "Isn't your English level higher than that?"

“Oh, I hadn't been struck by lightning when I took my exams last semester, and my English was very poor back then."

"It's really impossible to master this knowledge in a short time, but to raise your score, I can help you raise your marks."

"Really?"

"Mhmm."

"Great, can you help me modify my grades directly, or can you take the exam in my place?"

Han Pu knocked him on the head with a book, "Neither."

So serious, so serious, huh?

"Then how can you help me?"

Han Pu looked at his wristwatch, "At 6:00 p.m., the library will be empty."

At around 5:50, Shi Yao ran from the classroom to the library with his school bag and sat down on the steps to wait for Han Pu.

The library was a European-style building, with a touch of ancient Greek architecture and a small fountain in the courtyard in front of the building.

The sun was setting, and the sky was lightly coloured by the orange hues of the sunset. A lark was standing by the fountain, washing its shiny wings with the splashes of water, relaxing.

Shi Yao looked at the lark with his head tilted, and the lark looked at him with its head tilted, and then, in a flash, it fluttered its wings and went into the clouds.

When Shi Yao looked up, he saw Han Pu at that very moment.

Cool and refined, full of bookish air, he seemed to be so pure and clean, as if he was completely untouched by the mortal world.

For many days afterwards, Shi Yao repeatedly recalled this moment.

He recalled the haughty and handsome professor coming towards him with a light smile, as if he was walking across a lotus pond.

"It's exactly six o'clock," Han Pu asked, "I'm not late, am I?"

"No," Shi Yao said, rising from the steps, "just in time."

"Let's go in."

Following Han Pu, Shi Yao entered the main hall of the library and went to the back, where there was a staircase made of pine wood.

"I have an office here because it's easier to search for documents, and also because it's quiet enough to be undisturbed." Han Pu led him to the attic and pushed open the heavy wooden door to reveal a neat study.

Han Pu switched on the light: "The space is confined, so you have to keep your head down."

Before he finished his sentence, he heard a thud, as Shi Yao hit his head.

Han Pu rubbed his forehead with a soft smile: "Does it hurt?"

“It's fine, it doesn't hurt."

Inside, there was a low table and a futon.

The two of them sat on the futon, and Han Pu put the books on the floor: "I don't need to worry about your English, but how are your arithmetic and Chinese language skills?"

Arithmetic, isn't that maths?

Shi Yao always had a headache when he thought about maths, and he had been receiving single digits since elementary school: "I'm terrible at maths, but my Chinese is barely good enough."

"What do you mean by barely?"

"It means that I am still a long way from passing."

"No matter." Han Pu handed him a thick notebook: "Tonight we will start the first lesson, and I will teach you Chinese and literature together, and arithmetic separately."

Shi Yao thought to himself, it would have been great if he could have met such a teacher in modern times.

He would not have been a lousy student.

He wasn't really that stupid, was he?

He just didn't have the motivation, the desire, or anyone to give him positive incentives.

Han Pu is really a person worthy of respect and admiration.

Before he knew it, it was nightfall, and Shi Yao had jotted down ten pages full of notes.

This was an unprecedented first in his career as a poor student.

As the two were about to leave, Han Pu said, "Wait a moment."

Han Pu opened the skylight of the attic and revealed a multitude of stars in the sky.

It was so beautiful.

The two of them went downstairs and Han Pu sent Shi Yao home.

Unexpectedly, Song Liao was waiting for him at the entrance.

After just one glance, Shi Yao was sure that the narrow-minded young master was definitely angry again!

Han Pu, however, greeted him with a clear and cheerful smile, "Duheng, how are you?"

"Professor Han, thank you for sending my virtuous and capable wife back home."

"What virtuous and capable wife? Do you know how to speak?"

Song Liao wrapped his hand around Shi Yao and pressed his lips, "Shut up, I'll deal with you later."

Shi Yao: ?

"Mr. Shi is my student, it is my responsibility as a teacher."

"Indeed, a teacher is one who teaches and helps others to understand. I hope Professor Han will remember his position."

Taking him back to his room, Song Liao ordered, "Shi Yao, from now on you must be home by ten o'clock in the evening, and you must not be alone with a man at night."

"Oh, but a girl is okay?"

"Even worse!!!"

"Why?"

"Don't question my decisions." Song Liao said, "I am your fiancΓ© and I have the right to discipline you."

"Then since I'm your fiancΓ©," Shi Yao retorted, "why aren't I in charge of you?"

“You, want, to, control, me?"

"Don't want to." Shi Yao took a frightened step back, "So you stay out of my way too."

"We have a marriage contract."

"That's just a piece of paper."

Taking a deep breath, Song Liao did his best to calm the fire in his heart, "From today onwards, I will fulfil my responsibilities, and you must fulfil yours."

"What?"

"Firstly, we must remain faithful to each other, and secondly, you must sleep with me in the same bed."

"Wait, what do you mean by sleep with you?"

"Literally."

"I'm a traditionalist and conservative person, I disagree!"

"Your consent is not required." Song Liao said, "You can either sleep with me or you can sleep on the street."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

We're back! The author has resumed uplaoding this novel and has stated that it will be daily uploads. Since the chapters are relatively short and easy, I will try my best to keep up with their speed.

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: June 9, 2023

Comments