Exclusive Model for the Top Painter Chapter 85

The Stormy Struggle


Out of sympathy for Ji Xiuyuan's hard work, Liang Jin took the initiative to take over all the housework.

Outside of working hours, he cooked and cleaned and fed the cat at home every day, which was simply so virtuous that it was touching.

At noon on this day, Liang Jin rushed to Tian Han Group carrying a carefully cooked love bento, and in the elevator, he met a strange person.

The man looked a little familiar, it seemed like he had seen him at Tian Han before, but he couldn't name him.

He looked to be over fifty years old, with a kind and amiable smile. He took the initiative to strike up a conversation with Liang Jin and said, "Today's weather is good, it's a sunny day."

To be able to ride this elevator, he should be a member of the board of directors, right?

Liang Jin remembered Wen Di's instructions to himself, so he cautiously replied, "Indeed."

"All prosperity in the world is short-lived, and the peak of prosperity must decline. Just like a lotus blooming once, the flower will wither away." He smiled at Liang Jin, "It's like Tian Han now, isn't it?"

Liang Jin replied, "Your metaphor is not quite appropriate. Tian Han's mission is not that of a shooting star that breaks through the night sky, but rather an ever-shining candle and a rising sun."

"It seems that you are full of confidence in the future."

"Of course."

"I do not think so. Perhaps it won't be long before you recall today's sunny days." The beep of the elevator arriving at the floor sounded softly, and he stepped out of the door, saying one last thing: "Cherish the present Tian Han."

Liang Jin's heart was shrouded in a slight sense of foreboding.

When he arrived at Ji Xiuyuan's office, his Ji Shen was working at his computer.

The warm winter sunlight poured onto his body through the blue floor-to-ceiling windows, coating him with a layer of gentle colours.

Yuan Yuan is really good looking!

Liang Jin secretly sighed: I have a good eye!

It is said that men who work seriously have the most charisma, and when my Yuan Yuan is working, his charisma directly explodes!

Whether it's painting or daily office work like this, just one look will make one's heart flutter.

Liang Jin quietly approached and kissed the side of his face.

Ji Xiuyuan wrapped his arm around his waist and cradled him in his lap, "What did you make today?"

"Braised chicken, and broccoli with carrots!" Liang Jin bragged, "I made it according to the recipe, it's nutritious and healthy, and it's super tasty!"

"Have you eaten it?"

"Mhmm-hmm, of course, this is for you!"

Ji Xiuyuan unwrapped the boxed lunch and used his chopsticks to grab a small piece of chicken, delivering it to Liang Jin's lips, "Want another piece?"

Liang Jin bit into the meat, and the screen in front of him was densely packed with charts, "Ji Shen, is the situation not so good lately?"

"Why do you have this idea?"

"I just met someone in the elevator, he gave me a feeling that was very uncomfortable. He should be a member of the board of directors, so why would he wish bad things for Tian Han?"

Ji Xiuyuan picked up another broccoli and served it to Liang Jin, "In business relationships, there are only eternal interests."

"Yuan Yuan, no matter what, I will be on your side."

Ji Xiuyuan, however, seemed to have thought of something and solemnly said, "Xiao Jin, Tian Han is indeed experiencing a crisis at the moment. Do you want to consider terminating your contract with Tian Han for the time being?"

Liang Jin almost choked on the broccoli, he hurriedly picked up Ji Xiuyuan's cup and took a sip of water to swallow the food, "Yuan Yuan, what are you talking about? Why do you want to terminate the contract?"

"I'm afraid that Tian Han's matter will affect you. It's just a temporary termination of the contract, and when Tian Han gets through the crisis later, you can come back." Ji Xiuyuan pulled up a document on his desktop and showed it to Liang Jin, "I've already scouted a few trustworthy companies for you, and if you're willing, today you can..."

Liang Jin interrupted him, "So you mean to tell me to be a wallflower?" (Angel: Wallflower refers to someone who is good at changing their position according to the situation.)

"Xiao Jin, this is the best solution from your standpoint."

"If one tends to be a wallflower when it can shelter you and then abandons it in times of danger, this kind of behaviour is called ungratefulness." Liang Jin spoke word by word, "There is no way I would ever do such a thing!"

"Xiao Jin, everyone seeks to profit and avoid harm."

"People need to assess the situation and decide what to choose, in short, I won't leave you, nor will I leave Tian Han!"

Ji Xiuyuan pinched his earlobe, "Xiao Jin, I understand your feelings. But this consideration of mine is really for the sake of your career development. Tian Han looks calm right now, but in reality, there are dark currents. Several old foxes on the board of directors have long been bribed by Ji Wenbin. They're making a risky move. I have a feeling it's going to be tough. Your career is on the rise, you shouldn't be dragged down by such ups and downs."

"Yuan Yuan, when I was unknown before, you were the one who was willing to sign with me regardless of my background. Even regardless of my relationship with you, it's impossible for me to live up to this sentiment. What's the point of sacrificing a little bit of my career? If we even abandon the moral righteousness and responsibility that we hold firm in our hearts, and only know how to chase after fame and fortune, what difference is there between a human being and a beast?" Liang Jin insisted, "This matter is not negotiable, I will not agree."

Ji Xiuyuan laughed softly and rubbed his hair, "Okay, I understand."

"Yuan Yuan, is the situation really that serious?"

"Mhmm."

"Doesn't Ji Wenbin have any weaknesses?"

"There are, but right now there are only a few scattered clues. His connections on the American side are so intertwined that it will take some time to sort them all out."

"Tian Han will be fine, right Ji Shen?"

"Xiao Jin, do you know about chilling cicadas?" Ji Xiuyuan looked out the window and said to Liang Jin, "They lie dormant in the earth in the dark and later break out of the gloom. They are noisy in the height of summer, but they can only live for one summer. The piercing noise is always short-lived, and the mayflies shake the trees in vain."

"Then why are there still chilling cicadas crying and mayflies shaking trees?"

"Woe and blessing follow each other, the birth and death of all things is naturally like this. Everything has its glory or gloom, and so does Tian Han."

———

On Friday morning, Liang Jin received a text message notification on his cell phone while he was in the middle of filming an advertisement for a company in A City.

[Dear Mr. Liang Jin, Hello! The labour contract you signed with Tian Han Group has been changed, please click the link www.tianhan.com for more details. Tian Han Group Human Resources Department]

Liang Jin's heart immediately raged and he urgently called Ji Xiuyuan.

The beeps sounded six times, but there was no answer. 

Liang Jin's anger instantly subsided and he began to feel fear as he dialled Wen Di's number.

After a long wait, Wen Di's voice sounded on the other side: "Liang Jin, do you want to ask about the contract? This is Director Ji's intention, he is doing it for your own good. I've already pushed your file to another company, and that side said they'd welcome you on board."

"I don't want to talk about this right now," Liang Jin's voice trembled a little, "Where's Ji Shen? Why can't I get through to him on the phone?"

Wen Di obviously paused for a long time, "Something happened."

"What is it?"

"Director Ji is afraid that you will be worried and won't let me say it."

"I'll be more worried if you don't tell me, okay? Wen Di, please!!!"

"Ji Wenbin reported that Tian Han is involved in economic crimes, Director Ji was summoned by the court."

"How... how is that possible? How could this happen? Is Tian Han really involved in economic crimes?"

"It's a set-up they've joined forces to do." Wen Di's tone revealed a bit of indignation, "The mole in the board of directors sold out Tian Han, it's just so sickening."

"Then, what about Ji Shen? What will happen to him?"

"Liang Jin, you have to trust Director Ji, there is nothing he can't handle."

"Mhmm, I believe in him. Where is he now?"

"In court, he might be temporarily restricted in his activities until the results of the investigation are clear."

Liang Jin gripped his cell phone and ran out the door, "Are you at Tian Han? I'm coming over right now."

"What are you coming for? I'm all burnt out here. I won't talk to you for now, I'll contact you again if something comes up."

After the phone hung up, Liang Jin only felt a blockage in his heart and he dialled Ji Xiuyuan's number again.

It was still unanswered.

Stopping at the entrance of the subway station, he looked blankly at the crowds of people coming and going, and for the first time, he felt so powerless.

The electronic screen in the subway station was broadcasting news, and the camera was facing the magnificent entrance of Tian Han Group. The reporter's voice seemed so cold and merciless: "It is reported that Tian Han Group is suspected of economic crimes, the relevant person in charge has been summoned by the court, the specific facts await further investigation..."

Pushes from various channels were received on his cell phone:

[Tian Han is in crisis, stock price plummeting!]

[Inside the struggle of the Tian Han Group, is it due to a disagreement in the board of directors?]

[The former giant, where is it now? Explore the past and present life of Tian Han.]

Liang Jin's cell phone rang, he looked to the screen expectantly, but it was an unfamiliar number.

After the call was connected, the person on the other side said enthusiastically, "Hello Mr. Liang Jin, this is the human resource department of Cang Yu Fashion Media Company. I received your internal referral file today, may I ask when you will be free to come and do the onboarding formalities?"

Ji Shen ah, you took the trouble to push me to another company, but did you consider my feelings?

To me, my career is certainly important. But compared to you, what is it worth?

Now that you're in such a predicament, you want me to immediately withdraw and get away from you?

I can't do that.

I would never, ever do such a thing.

Liang Jin took a deep breath, and after calming down his emotions, he politely replied: "I'm sorry, you've got it wrong. I have no intention of joining your company, so please delete my file."

After hanging up the phone, not even a second later, the ringtone rang again.

Liang Jin subconsciously thought that it was the same company, and after connecting, he said, "I think I have expressed myself clearly, I will not be joining your company, so please don't call again, thank you."

A low laugh came from the other side: "Xiao Jin, why don't you want to go to that company?"

Hearing this voice, Liang Jin immediately felt his throat tighten, "Yuan Yuan?"

"Mhmm, it's me."

"Yuan Yuan, how are you now?"

"Dealing with some things at the court might take a while."

"I'm so worried about you."

"Xiao Jin, I'm fine."

"By the way, Yuan Yuan, didn't I say I wouldn't go to another company? Why did you still take the liberty of terminating my contract?"

"It's better for you that way."

"But I put you first, do you understand?"

"Me too."

For some reason, Liang Jin felt a wave of sourness and tears welled up in his eyes, "It's New Year's Eve soon, I'll wait for you to spend it together. We're not going anywhere this year, we'll just be at home, just us, plus Bo Bo, celebrating New Year's Eve together."

"Okay."

"I'm going to play with Legos, watch a three hour movie, and make love with you."

"Okay."

"Then we have a deal."

"Mhmm, it's a deal."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: November 5, 2023

Comments