Exclusive Model for the Top Painter Chapter 8

An Ambiguous and Obscure Invitation


It was the first time he had attended a Vogue gala and Liang Jin had no intention of staying in the lounge, it was so boring.

As soon as Ji Xiuyuan left, he started wandering around.

"Hi, are you interested in chatting?" A sexy girl with fair skin and a beautiful face winked at Liang Jin: "I'm a producer from Hongyin Pictures, Yao Yin."

Not expecting to be approached by a producer, Liang Jin was a little excited: "Hello! I'm Liang Jin, nice to meet you!"

Yao Yin gestured to a seat hidden in the corner, "Shall we sit down and talk?"

"Okay."

Even by model standards, Yao Yin was considered a beautiful woman. Her white professional shirt was tucked into a short skirt, and her wavy curly hair accentuated her mature look: "Let's open the door to see the mountain, are you interested in making a movie?"

"What kind of movie?"

Yao Yin folded her hands on the table, her voice low but sweet: "Something with a romantic theme, your image is very much in line with my expectations. I have reason to believe that if you are involved in the filming, the audience will... be deeply infatuated with you."

"But I have no filming experience."

Yao Yin smiled brightly, "That's okay, we can teach you. If I may ask, do you prefer to be partnered with a man or a woman?"

Why did this question feel so strange? After a moment of deliberation, Liang Jin replied, "Both are fine."

"So, in a romantic relationship, do you prefer to be active or passive?" Yao Yin lifted one side of her mouth into a smile, with strands of her long hair falling on the table: "When engaging in a certain activity, do you prefer the top or bottom position?"

Sensing the connotations hidden in her words, Liang Jin's face instantly flushed red: "Is that... is that a question that must be answered?"

When she noticed how nervous he was, Yao Yin was tempted to tease him: "You can choose not to answer, or you can just practise during the shoot."

Liang Jin finally came to his senses: "The film you're talking about, could it be...???"

Yao Yin looked at him with a smile, "What is it?"

"Just that! That kind!" Liang Jin couldn't say it out loud, "Things that the country has banned from being filmed!"

Yao Yin couldn't help but laugh and winked, "You're too cute, of course not, we're a legitimate film and television company. How about this, this is my business card, you can contact me directly if you are interested." Yao Yin took out a pink card and put it on the table, "I'm very interested in you."

Liang Jin accepted the business card.

Yao Yin took out her cell phone, opened her contact list and handed it to Liang Jin: "Can you give me your contact information?"

Liang Jin hesitated for a while, but entered his number.

Taking the cell phone back, Yao Yin rose gracefully, "Then I won't bother you further, have a good night."

"... Thank you."

Liang Jin stayed in his seat, staring at the business card and having a fierce mental debate. He had a feeling that the movie Yao Yin was talking about wasn't serious, but it was a movie! He had never been involved in filming a movie before, and he was still a little bit curious.

"A'Liang? I didn't expect to see you here." Fang Yuqiong stopped beside his seat: "I was going to call you over the past few days."

Liang Jin stood up immediately, "Sister Qiong, good evening! You've come to the dinner party too."

Fang Yuqiong nodded: "Didn't you ask me before if I had any resources for you? I've kept an eye out for you during this period of time, and recently an advertisement has come up which is very suitable for you."

"Really?" Liang Jin was full of anticipation: "What kind of advertisement?"

"The product is for Bluetooth earbuds, and the client's requirements for the model are: a newcomer, a good appearance, a bright temperament, a strong and infectious personality. It's a big brand, and there's supposed to be a heavily funded campaign after the filming is completed." Fang Yuqiong's short hair was neat and smooth, and her eyes were sharp: "I think you fit the requirements well enough to pursue the opportunity, I'll sort out the details and send them over to you over the next few days."

"I really don't know how to thank you," Liang Jin touched his nose, "I'll buy you dinner then."

Fang Yuqiong replied, "It's okay, as a head-hunter, this is my job."

———

By midnight, the dinner party was completely over and all the guests had left, but there was no sign of Ji Xiuyuan.

Liang Jin could only fight back his drowsiness and headed to the lounge to continue waiting.

Just as he was about to fall asleep on the sofa, he heard a soft sound as Ji Xiuyuan pushed the door open and entered. Liang Jin rubbed his eyes, "Ji Shen, you've finished working."

"Mhmm," Ji Xiuyuan sat down next to him, "did you wait this long, was it boring?"

"Not at all, I've had a particularly fruitful day!" Liang Jin was immediately energised, "Really."

Ji Xiuyuan smiled at him, "What have you gained?"

"First of all, I was blown away by the great moments of the seniors! Especially when you presented the award to Bei Sha, if I were her, I would have been so ecstatic that I would have fainted. Also, I actually got two opportunities to be involved in filming!"

"What kind of filming?"

Liang Jin took out the pink business card from his pocket: "This was given to me by a film producer, but I feel that something is wrong."

Ji Xiuyuan took the business card out of his hand, and after just one glance, he immediately rejected it: "You can't film it."

"Huh? Is there really something wrong with her? I had a feeling she was talking about that kind of film."

Ji Xiuyuan reflected on the meaning of his words and his smile deepened: "What kind of film?"

"Just, you know!"

Ji Xiuyuan feigned ignorance: "I don't know."

"It's, like the Japanese ones, love action movies!"

Ji Xiuyuan let out a low laugh, "I'm curious, why do you think that?"

"Because she asked me a very strange question."

"What kind of questions?"

"She asked me..." Liang Jin's face flushed when he thought about the content of the question, and he swallowed his words halfway: "Forget it, it's better if you don't know."

Ji Xiuyuan looked at him with a surprisingly happy expression and explained, "This company is indeed a regular film production company. There's no way that the kind of people you're referring to would be at a Vogue dinner."

"Huh?" Liang Jin was confused, "Then why did you say I couldn't film it?"

Ji Xiuyuan held the business card between his two fingers and looked down at Liang Jin: "Because this Yao Yin is a well-known niche art lover in the industry. She enjoys discovering new talent, making films for unique audiences, and competing for international awards. Her films usually focus on LGBT groups such as homosexuals, transgenders and bisexuals; or marginalised groups such as special workers and the mentally handicapped, can you accept it?"

Liang Jin was speechless for a while, not knowing how to answer.

"She is very demanding, even harsh, on her actors. It is rumoured that the actors in her cast, from the main actors to the set members, were tortured beyond recognition during the filming process, to the point where some of them lost a lot of weight."

"So that's how it is," Liang Jin pondered for a while, "Perhaps I can try."

"No."

"Why?"

"You're already skinny enough, you don't need to go through that suffering."

"But Ji Shen," Liang Jin said seriously, "not everyone is like you, standing at the top of the pyramid, with countless resources at their fingertips. Since I have such an opportunity, I want to fight for it as hard as I can. In fact, the most powerful thing I received tonight was the conviction that came from the bottom of my heart."

Liang Jin looked up at him, "One day, I will be able to stand alongside you on that stage."

Ji Xiuyuan was silent for a long time and put the business card back into his hand: "Okay, I'll wait for that day."

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: April 21, 2023

Comments