S.C.I Mystery Series Volume 3 Chapter 49

Ghost Murderer 17 - Ghosts Haunt Again


When Qin Ou finished speaking, it was Zhao Zhen's turn.

When Zhao Zhen saw a group of people surrounding him, like an interrogation, he was a little helpless and said, "I really don't know who that person is."

As soon as they heard him say this, everyone felt a bit discouraged.

"Then where did you go just now?” Zhan Zhao asked.

Zhao Zhen sighed, "This person has been following me for a while… I probably know who he is."

"You just said you didn't know." Bai Yutang was puzzled.

“Uh… hear me out." Zhao Zhen smiled and said, "It's not that complicated. When I first started performing, I noticed that there was a man who liked to watch me do magic. Back then I was just doing it for fun in small bars, but then I gradually started performing on bigger stages. That man was always there, like a ghost, and he appeared wherever I went." Zhao Zhen laughed out loud, "But I don't hate him, he just watched from afar and was always there for every show. Then I came to China and I didn't see him for a while. However, after the tour started, he showed up again, at the same time as the anonymous letters started appearing."

"He just looked at you?" Bai Chi asked, "Has he done anything else?"

Zhao Zhen shook his head and said, "That's not true. I made a point of going to see him that day and he seemed very nervous."

"You still went to see him?" Bai Chi was a little anxious, "Aren't you afraid that he is a pervert who would pull out a gun or a knife? Think about John Lennon, would you dare to go meet him?”

Zhao Zhen reached out and gently rubbed Bai Chi's ears to keep him quiet, "I knew you would react this way, that's why I didn't dare to tell you. In fact, I've seen the most intense kind of followers. This is just a momentary impulse, it'll pass, it's not a big problem."

Hearing this, Zhan Zhao seemed a little puzzled and asked, "Why are you so sure it's him?"

“Well…" Zhao Zhen thought about it and said, "The other day I told him that I had received some strange letters recently, and he was inexplicably flustered and ran away… I don't know if he wrote them, but I think he probably has something to do with them, so I wanted to find him."

"And then what?" Bai Yutang asked, "Did you find him again?"

Zhao Zhen frowned slightly and said, "After a while… he came to see me perform again, so I caught him and asked him what was going on. He ended up asking me to sign his arm, and asked me to go to a construction site in the east at noon that day, saying he had something to tell me. I went, but after waiting for a long time, he didn't come. Seeing that it was getting late, I searched for him and couldn't find him, so I came back… I also sent someone to look for him, but he never showed up. I'm now more worried about whether something has happened to him."

Everyone looked at him with wide eyes.

Bai Chi's eyes widened, “You… you went to the construction site… were you not afraid that there could be several people waiting there to kidnap you? You!"

Zhao Zhen saw that Bai Chi was angry and hurried to comfort him.

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang looked at each other – Zhao Zhen is too unreliable!

"It was indeed a bit risky, wasn't it?" On the side, Yang Fan also couldn't help but say, "His style is like yours." As he said this, he poked Qin Ou.

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang turned their faces and asked "What are the similarities?"

"Uh…" Qin Ou said, "When I was examining a bomb, I also received a phone call from a stranger, saying that I should go somewhere. I also went… it was a construction site and I didn’t see anyone there after I went."

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang looked at each other and felt a little strange. How could the case from so many years ago be so similar to the case now? What exactly is involved in this? "

Just then, they heard the phone in the office ring.

Everyone froze, startled by the phone.

Jiang Ping answered the phone, "Hello? Okay…" Turning back, he said, "Captain!"

Bai Yutang walked over, took the call. After listened, he hung up with a frown, and turned back to Zhan Zhao and the others, "The ghost murderer has appeared again."

Everyone was stunned, and Zhao Hu tapped his head, "Don't say it, I really forgot that there was such a case."

Bai Yutang waved to the group. Qin Ou and Yang Fan looked at each other. Yang Fan said he was going back to the hospital, and Qin Ou said he would see him off, but Bai Yutang suddenly said, “That… are you two still prepared to live as usual?"

The two men were stunned and looked at Bai Yutang in confusion.

Bai Yutang, on the other hand, raised his eyebrows at Zhan Zhao – Cat, what do you think?

Zhan Zhao thought for a moment and reached out to point at Yang Fan, “You, go to our house and receive protection with Chen Yu and the others until the case is over."

Yang Fan's eyes widened, "What about my job?"

"If you talk to the hospital leaders and say that there is a risk of the hospital blowing up if you don't take leave, your hospital leaders should agree, right? Or I'll ask Lu Fang to help you." Bai Yutang joked, "We also have a doctor at home, so you two can exchange ideas."

Yang Fan blinked and heard Qin Ou say, “Er… you should go, I don't feel comfortable with you being alone."

Yang Fan looked at Qin Ou with some surprise. Qin Ou rubbed the back of his head and looked elsewhere.

Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang smiled at each other.

Bai Yutang pointed at Zhao Zhen and Qin Ou, "You two will follow us."

"Let Chi Chi go home." Zhao Zhen suddenly said.

"How can I do that?" Bai Chi protested, "I'm worried about you!"

Zhao Zhen smiled, "I'm worried about you following me out into the field, I'm more comfortable with you staying with Brother Bai and the others."

"I'm a cop." Bai Chi was not happy.

Zhao Zhen looked at Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang.

Zhan Zhao thought for a moment and said, "Chi Chi, you haven't finished reading those books yet, have you?"

Bai Chi was stunned and nodded, “En, not yet."

"Up in the attic of the villa, there are some newspapers, why don't you help me read them all as well?" Zhan Zhao said, "They are all the newspapers from the time when Qin Ou's case happened."

"What are you looking for?" Bai Chi asked.

Zhan Zhao smiled, "That depends on what you feel… but I think there are bound to be clues."

Bai Chi thought about it and nodded, "Okay, I'll go back and take a look." After saying this, he said goodbye to Zhao Zhen, told him to be careful, and went back with Yang Fan. Luo Tian was responsible for sending them home. Bai Yutang took the others and drove to the crime scene.

Qin Ou and Luo Tian drove Yang Fan and Bai Chi back together first so that they could learn the way, and Luo Tian would bring him over later.

Zhao Zhen sat in Bai Yutang's car. Leaning back into his seat, he asked the two, "This guy is good, do you want to recruit him?"

Bai Yutang looked at him and said, "Qin Ou is a talent. If this case can be solved, it would indeed be good if he stayed at SCI, that is…"

“Are you worried about the shadow in his heart?” Zhan Zhao asked.

"That’s right." Bai Yutang nodded and asked, "Can it be completely cured?"

Zhan Zhao thought for a moment, "It will be possible once the case is solved."

"You mean that he has a shadow in his heart mainly because the case has never been solved?" Zhao Zhen was curious, "I thought it was because the death of his family had stimulated him too much."

"That's for sure, but there's one thing… isn't the baby still alive?" Zhan Zhao laughed, "His son is there, the old man can't collapse no matter what. If you don't believe me, look at Luo Tian. No matter how tough the environment is, he can survive because Yang Yang is there."

"That's true." Zhao Zhen nodded.

“Besides… Yang Fan is also there." Zhan Zhao smiled faintly, "It is a good sign, time and affection can wash away everything. People with a strong resolve sink deep, but they can also be strong enough to pull through when they encounter salvation."

"It's good if he can get better." Bai Yutang said, “Let him stay at SCI, I quite admire him. The other day, Bao Sir mentioned that if Qin Ou had still been there, he would have been more successful than the two of us now."

"That's true." Zhan Zhao nodded.

"What's wrong?" Bai Yutang asked him, "Something on your mind?"

"I was thinking about the bomb.” Zhan Zhao said, "If the bomb maker back then is the same person as the one now, why did it take so long before they made a move? "

"Right." Zhao Zhen also nodded, "Did he want to bomb Qin Ou, or the old man in Chen Yu's family?"

"There's also the case of Chen Yu's parents." Zhan Zhao muttered to himself, "And the case of the ghost killer, and the case of Brother… What exactly is the connection between this series of cases, I don't think it's simple."

"What about Zhao Jue?" Bai Yutang asked, "Why would he get involved?"

“Oh… the kid Qin Ou saved was probably Fang Xing, that's why he was concerned about him and wanted to help him out, but he didn’t expect to find out about some things from his past. He said some information would be sent to Jiang Ping's mailbox."

"Where is he now?" Zhao Zhen asked, "I haven't seen him for a long time."

"Out of the country, I think. He's also worried about your case, but from the sound of it, it seems like he's quite busy." Zhan Zhao muttered but didn’t say anything more.

Ahead, traffic police were already seen diverting traffic. The crash had occurred at an intersection. Fortunately the area was relatively remote and there were not many cars.

"Are there any deaths or injuries?" Zhan Zhao asked.

"The drivers of both cars are dead." Bai Yutang said, "One is a taxi with no one in the back, and the one that was hit is a private car. The person in the passenger seat did not die and was sent to the hospital for emergency treatment. The traffic police said there was surveillance footage, and it was the taxi that was responsible for the accident. The two private cars were innocent."

Everyone frowned… again!

……

The Bai family’s villa is now bustling with activity. With several more people arriving, Da Ding and Xiao Ding were busy preparing the rooms.

Yang Fan entered through the door and saw Lisbon slipping into the living room behind him… as he lazily yawned and lied down, a little lion and two super cute cats immediately rushed over and kept rubbing him, looking very intimate.

"Lilia is here?" Bai Chi went over, picked up a cute Garfield, and gently rubbed its fur.

Luban, who had successfully lost weight and was now handsome, came up to sniff Yang Fan and Qin Ou, rubbing them in the process.

Yang Fan was surprised to see the little lion, he had just been shocked to see Lisbon at the police station and hadn't realised there was a smaller one.

"Very handsome, isn't he?" Old man Chen laughed next to him, "I was startled just now too."

Yang Fan looked at him, then at Chen Yu behind him. Nodding, he looked at Qin Ou again.

After Qin Ou and Luo Tian greeted Da Ding and Xiao Ding, they said goodbye to the group and left, while Bai Chi went upstairs to start reading.

There were a few people left in the living room, and it was a little awkward.

At this time, Bai Jintang happened to come out of his room. Gongsun had woken up and his fever had gone down, so he wanted to find a doctor to give a look. Once he heard that Yang Fan was a doctor from the emergency room, he hurriedly asked him to go up.

As soon as Yang Fan left, Chen Yu hit old man Chen and said, "Grandpa, see that? Don't mess around anymore, you're embarrassing people!"

“Aiya." Old man Chen waved his hand, "I knew it when he just took my blood pressure and gave me a shot… It's not like I'm stupid, your grandfather has eaten more salt than you have eaten rice!"

Chen Yu squinted at him, and Xiao Ding came over, "Old man, you want to find someone for her to marry? Ask me too, I know a lot of people!"

"Really?" The old man became excited, but Chen Yu pulled him aside, "Don't listen to these two, I know all the people they know!"

Xiao Ding laughed sullenly and said, "I say, Chen Yu, do you already have a target? Otherwise, how come you're not in a hurry at this age?"

"That's right, why don't you tell us?" Da Ding came over as well and laughed, "I'll be your big brother and give you some advice."

Chen Yu blushed slightly. She gave the two of them a blank look, and pulled the old man aside. Xiao Ding and Da Ding looked at each other keenly – There really is one! A mystery man has appeared!

In the room, Yang Fan went to the bedside to check on Gongsun.

"The fever has gone down, he's fine." Yang Fan took Gongsun's temperature and looked at the medical records and the medicine the last doctor had prescribed for Gongsun, "Just rest some more."

Gongsun squinted at Bai Jintang, "I told you that, didn't I?"

Bai Jintang raised his eyebrows, "You're a forensic doctor, I trust proper doctors more."

Gongsun wanted to explode. Yang Fan sat down, and laughed, "You're a forensic doctor, huh? I studied forensic medicine back then."

"Really?" Surprised, Gongsun asked, "Are you a doctor?"

"Can you tell?" Yang Fan asked a silly question. When he saw Gongsun laughing at him, he immediately laughed too, "Also, I just examined you."

Afterwards, the two chatted with each other. Gongsun glanced at Bai Jintang, who nodded and went to the study next door to work.

Yang Fan also wanted to go, but Gongsun smiled and said, "If you have nothing to do, stay here for a while longer, I'm bored by myself."

Yang Fan nodded, he didn't want to go back downstairs. He didn't know anyone down there, and Chen Yu and the others were there, so it was awkward.

Gongsun was actually talking nonsense. With that personality of his, he wouldn't feel bored on his own, but rather would feel bored when there were two of them. It's just that Zhan Zhao had just called him and roughly described Yang Fan's situation. He told him that Yang Fan's psychological problems are not much less than Qin Ou's, and he probably needs a bin to empty his thoughts into. Gongsun is somewhat similar to him, and both of them are doctors with a common language, so it's best to help him relax.

After hearing about what happened to Qin Ou, Gongsun was quite impressed with Yang Fan and was naturally happy to help. After a few words, Yang Fan really cracked and told Gongsun about all of the bitterness he had been holding inside for years. Gongsun turned on the recorder hidden under the blanket… It wasn't for any bad intentions, it was just that Zhan Zhao had asked him to. There might be important clues in Yang Fan's bitterness, so he asked Gongsun to record it.

‿︵‿︵ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ・❉・ ʚ˚̣̣̣͙ɞ‿︵‿︵

Previous Chapter | TOC | Next Chapter

Translator Notes

Did anyone else forget about the case with the ghosts in the taxis?

Please feel free to comment any mistakes I made so I can improve and do better as I go through the book.

Translated: December 5/6, 2021

Comments

  1. It took me a minute to remember which was the ghost murderer 😆

    It’s funny watching Jintang make Gongsun want to lose it, he’s the only one that can emotionally provoke Gongsun so much lmao

    What made Zhan Zhao see that Yang Fan might have some clues about the case? No matter how much I try to wrap my mind around it I can’t follow the same train of thought as Zhan Zhao lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually can't follow Zhan Zhao's line of thought, he's just too smart 😭

      Delete
  2. I completely forgot about the taxi cases until I read the word ghost murderer. 😅

    Zhao Zhen was so reckless! To met the man alone maybe he still had a chance to turn the table when things went south. But to go to the construction site alone?

    When people attacked him in his house, he still had an upper hand. Those people attacked a magician house after all. But in the construction site he would be all alone. Thank goodness nothing bad happen.

    OH I really hope Qin Ou would become a new member of SCI. After the false hope that we got before.

    With how detail we were introduced to his past I really think there's hope for it. But is it possible to be 2 captain in department? Or his rank in firemen was different with his rank in police department?

    Ah Zhan Zhao was always a couple steps ahead of us. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cases feel like they happened so long ago 😅

      Zhao Zhen really was too reckless to go alone to a desolate place like that. So many things should have gone wrong.

      I hope Qin Ou stays too. While he may have been the captain of the bomb squad, this isn't the bomb squad, so his rank wouldn't transfer. He would probably just be a regular team member.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you guys think about this chapter! I love to hear all of your comments.

Be sure to check back, as I always try my best to respond to every comment I receive!